Arlo or Arlo Pro?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
svtdriver
Guide
Guide

I'm new to Arlo and currently looking for guidance on how to proceed. I picked up the Arlo 2 camera pack at Costco recently for $240 (They'll be on sale for $199 later this month!). I bought it on a whim when I needed to monitor a pet at home and Costco has a great return policy if I didn't need to keep it.

Since then, I put the secondary camera up outside to monitor the front door. It seems to do a good job at it and I've dialed in the motion sensitivity. I get a alert when a box shows up, etc.

About a week after my purchase, the Arlo Pro was annouced. The only place that has this currently is Best Buy at $420 for the 2 pack. I'm struggling to come to a decision on whether to return the standard Arlo and get the Pro. Looking at the price difference ($180 or $220 if I do a return/rebuy at Costco), is the pro worth it? I read the motion detection is quicker which would be nice and rechargable batteries is a welcomed feature (I haven't had to buy batteries yet but from reading the forums, they're not cheap). I did see a thread that stated Netgear is working on official rechargable batteries for the standard Arlo due late this year or early next. I don't really need a siren. Audio and USB would be nice I guess.

Basically, I could get a 4 camera Arlo set up via Costco for $400 or a 2 camera Pro at BB for $420. Is the Pro really worth the cost?

2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

That's a bit difficult to answer...

As both in my opinion have some pluses ...

BTW, the OEM batteries purchased on line( from rep dealer ) are about $1.40-1.50 per...so not as expensive as you may think ( they do cost sometimes $4 each in stores )

But since you asked..... IMO, If I was just starting out, I'd prob go with the PRO. 

The PRO solved a few problems that the Arlo had as to slow trigger/record effect and that made them ( arlo)  harder to properly set up.

As for now, the PRO only uses rechargeables and that isn't bad, it's just that I like options

...where the Arlo uses OEM primary cells and Netgear has stated they are coming out with approved rechargeable cells for same.

In the end it's your call, pick what suits your needs the best,

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
NETthisGEAR
Apprentice
Apprentice

If you do decide to go with the original Arlo, please remember that the batteries it comes with aren't rechargeable. You need to order this as well(this will save you money in the long run):

Tenergy 3.7V RCR123A Li-ion Battery Charger

I recommend the Arlo Pro which comes with rechargeable batteries and has a couple other useful features, but I think the Arlo would be a great choice as well. 

For others looking into cameras please remember that there is an Arlo Q as well. It is a wired solution and it can record through glass(the Arlo/Arlo Pro can NOT). If you need an Arlo to baby monitor, there is one for that! If you need an outdoor camera, there is one for that! Just make sure to research so you get the right one for your situation. All I'm saying, I see people get upset when they try to shoot the Arlo Pro through the window, and it just won't work with that motion detection system.