Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo not recording on motion

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
hemerson5
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an ARLO system with two cameras.  I can't get them to record on motion 100% of the time.  They record on motion very intermittinly.  I have checked all my settings but can't figure out why.  I have walk tested them numerous times with no luck.  10 test this morning and I was only able to see one event on my system.  Does anybody have suggestions?  I saw something about geo-fencing.....is this something I should try? North Carolina

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

GF won't help if they're not recording in the first place.  

The issue can usually be due to 2 things: 1) camera sensitivity setting and 2) camera positioning.  For #1, use the Mode tab, select your system and edit the Armed mode.  Try increasing the sensitivity setting in the Motion Is Detected section.  Be sure to save by going back one page (Back on the app, Edit Rule link for the web).

For #2, be sure that the camera is pointed down sufficiently so you only have the area of actual interest in the view.  People detection is limited to ~20-25 feet but closer is better. Motion should be across the field of view, not directly at the camera.  Using the library, view a video and use the Share icon to copy the link to it and post it here so we can see what you see.  The link will only stay active for 24 hours.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First thing to remember is on the Arlo cameras, there is a slight lag of a couple seconds from the trigger event to the actual record....

Due to this placement is sometimes better away from what you want to capture so subject has to cross the field of view to trigger and then you get a good response enterint and then during exit.

Like below ( orig had the cam at the door, but it got the back of heads leaving )

cam5.JPG

Second, there is an adjustment on the sens level... it should be slowly raised a % or two at a time so you get a good response but not an overly amount of fake triggers ( leaves , etc ).

Also, remeber that the PIR device that picks up people only is good for a max of about 20ft... so don't try to cover more area than the camera can detect ( as above )( not to mention at night the IR illuminators are good to 10+ft only for a good picture )

For cars detection is a greater distance as they are large refletors of IR which the PIR uses to detect motion... at night these sense levels may need to be higher set ( day time and night custom mode can easily do this )

Last After a record session there is a reset time of about 10 secs or so...so if you try and get a recording then you will not...so pick the record time suited for the type of movemnet you want to capture.

TIP/TRICK... a possible trick or slight of hand to make the camera seem to respond better ( for small areas )

Set up the camera and then reduce the picture size by about 15% with pan/zoom.

Re aim the camera if needed, adjust sense level near the 88-92% range ( will need tweeking )

The reason why this works is the PIR detector covers the entire field of view...since you made the shown view smaller AND the PIR still covers ALL, the trigger event actualy happens before the subjuct is seen so it appears the person is caught just entering the view

As to geofencing ...it will not make the cameras respond better...it is a gps via phone to armed or disarm the cameras as you are near / leaving  your home

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
hemerson5
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello.....I keep changing my sensitivity to 88%, but can't figure out how to save the setting.  I go back one page and it defaults back to 80% every time.  What am I missing here to save the setting?  Thank you for all the help.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

after adjusting the sense level....click EDIT RULE at top of page...it will take you one page back , save is at the bottom

Morse is faster than texting!