Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo not detecting motion under 100%?

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
sarieperl
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Arlo is great at detecting motion when I place it at 100%, but it's working a little too well and currently recording every shadow from a nearby tree every 30 seconds. I have found that if I place the camera at less than 100%, like at 80 or even 95%, it does not detect motion at all. Let's say it's pointed at my front door. If the camera is at 80%, I can walk to my front door only a few feet away from the camera and it won't detect me. Do the cameras have to be at 100% to record motion? I really don't want to drain my battery from frequent nothings.

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
It's likely due to the exact placement of the camera. Remember to have motion across the FOV, not directly at it. Post a screenshot for suggestions.
sarieperl
Aspirant
Aspirant

IMG_1961.PNGI inserted an example of where a camera is at. However, if it's set at 100%, it will detect everything. Should I be changing the position? I just want it to be able to detect people walking nearby but not every shadow that passes by.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Tilting it down so it just gets the driveway would be a good idea. Having the street in the view invites lots of detections from cars driving by. Cars are good reflectors of the sun's IR. Just focus on the real area of concern. You could potentially use another camera in the porch (?) area. That way you could watch the driveway as well as the front door. It also opens up the use of nested rules where one camera detects but triggers the other and vice versa.

A detects, A records
A detects, B records
B detects, A records
B detects, B records
sarieperl
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you. So if I do that, am I safe to reduce the motion sensor down to 70% and it will still capture someone walking in my driveway but not the sun's reflectors?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

sarieperl wrote:

Thank you. So if I do that, am I safe to reduce the motion sensor down to 70% and it will still capture someone walking in my driveway but not the sun's reflectors?

That you will have to test... tho I recommend any change in sense levels be done in small amounts so you get max response while not getting false triggers.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
dfwald
Tutor
Tutor

It's best at detecting motion that is 90 degrees to the camera face and the detection starts decreasing as the angle decreases.  Your picture shows only a small angle to the camera face.  I have all of my cameras set to about 80% but angled in such a way as to pickup traffic along walkways and driveways almost 90 degrees to the camera faces.