Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 45 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
yadbop
Star
Star

Hi there,

Was wondering if there is a way in options or configuration menu to set it so that:

While Arlo camera is recording, it is still detecting motion and at the end of the set recording time, if there is still motion it continues to record.

For example:

Default set to 10 seconds record. If for some reason there is still movement at the end of 10 seconds, it continues to record rather than end and start up again. This way you get a seemlessly recording of possible important movement/actions happening.

16 REPLIES 16
yadbop
Star
Star

Sorry this should be under "Arlo Wire-Free camera Troubleshooting"

Is there any way I can transfer this post there? Thanks!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No such setting is possible.  You basically have two options:

1) If motion continues after the first recording completes, a separate detection is needed to start a second recording.  There will be some lag (varies according to where the motion is, lag to connect to the servers, etc.) so some motion will be missed.

2) Increase the time of all recording so as to capture most/all of the motion in the first recording.

Don't sweat wrong forum - most others haven't even bothered to notice.  😛

yadbop
Star
Star

Thanks jguerdat for your reply, appreciate it!

Is there a way the developers can do firmware upgrade of some sort to have that function discussed? Or is it physically impossible based on way camera motion detects and record? Would love to be able to send them feedback and see if it's possible to have this ability/setting.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have no idea if it's a hardware or software issue.  You'd think that the camera and motion sensor are disconnected and the only issue would be to change the firmware to continually detect motion.  You still have the same basic probelm, though, with motion being able to be detected depending on where and the direction of motion is.  Even if continuous detection is activated, you may not get all motion given the limitations of the motion detection in the first place.

As for getting developer's attention, use the Submit An Idea button on the right side of some of these pages (like the forum message list) to post your idea(s) and get folks to add kudos.  That's the official method.  More kudos means more likely to be accepted.

TexasSwede
Guide
Guide

I totally agree, this is one of the most important functions I would like to see in the (near) future.

The second change I would like to see is faster start-up time of the camera. I have one of my cameras facing a long driveway, probably close to 75 ft visibility from the camera. Still, when a FedEx or UPS delivery man walks down the driveway the camera often does not start recording until they walk right past the camera at the end of the driveway and up on the porch.

That is very irritaing. Also when a car drives up, the camera does usually not start until the car is already parked. The delays is probably close to 20 seconds, and we have a fast internet connection and the camera shows a fairly strong signal from the hub...

So instant recording (perhaps buffering it locally) would be VERY nice.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Optimal detection requires a lot of things, primarily trial and error. Rather than looking down the whole driveway make sure that the camera will have the object enter from one of the edges, across the FOV, not directly at the camera. You may need to reposition the camera to achieve this but possibly jsutba different angle would be sufficient.

For quicker startup of recording, you need good detection. The best you'll get is about a 2 second lag but if the camera is properly positioned you'll get a usable video. Since the camera is in a sleep mode before detection occurs, it has to wake up and create a connection to the servers. Local buffering may help but overall the culprit is how/when motion is detected.

JoshMcCullough
Guide
Guide

I am shocked, shocked I tell you. That the camera doesn't continue to record as long as motion is detected (perhaps up to a maximum time). This was my expectation when purchasing these devices, so it's a real let down that this is not how it works. 

This should be seen as a flaw in the design (hopefully fixable via a FW update) because it could lead to missing important frames if someone was breaking into your house, for instance. 

miesemer
Tutor
Tutor

Add me to the disappointed list that continued motion does not keep the camera recording. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Due to the battery operated design of Arlo Wire-Free cameras, they are not intended to be used for continuous recording. If your goal is continuous recording, take a look at the Arlo Q/Q+ devices as these are powered devices that offer the CVR feature: Arlo Q

JamesC

JoshMcCullough
Guide
Guide

JamesC -- thanks. And the dog at the top of that page is hilarious and excellent.

Now, with the wireless Arlo cameras, there is still an issue/expectation here which isn't being met. The camera fails to record motion soon after another recording has just finished (on the same camera). There seems to be a delay between the end of a recording and the potential start of the next. This causes information to be missed. 

miesemer
Tutor
Tutor

I'm not asking for 24/7 continuous. I'd like to have the option to set the camera to be activated on motion and continue to record for n-time after motion stops. The way it is now the camera records for 10 seconds to 2 minutes after motion is detected then turns off no matter if there is motion or not. There is often a gap in the motion triggered recordings so if motion continues through the first event, a critical piece of action could be lost in the "reset"/end of clip cycle. 

cgraunke
Initiate
Initiate

Agreed.  And the comment about the battery operated nature is irrelevent, as right now I need to set to max record length if I want to make sure I catch everything.  This leads to countless 2 minute videos when only 10 seconds may have been required.  A simple command of "start record on motion, continue for 'x' seconds after last motion is detected" would cut out excess recording, give the users what they want, and yeild best battery results, IMO.

At that point, you could still put a max on the recording.  And that could still be two minutes if you want (or limited to whatever the recording buffer is)

But, right now if I want to minimize missed action and I have two minutes of motion, I have a two minute recording.  If I have two seconds of motion, I still have a two minute recording.  And if I have two minutes and two seconds of motion, I now have TWO two minute recordings, with a gap of missed time, assuming it even catches those last few seconds of motion while the camera does its save routine between clips.

DougShearer
Aspirant
Aspirant

I absolutely agree with the suggestion to improve functionality so that the user could select to start recording upon motion detection, then record until motion stops (or a max length of 2 min or similar).   Reading previous posts, the argument from NETGEAR was that it would adversely affect battery performance, but I disagree - I think it would IMPROVE battery life.  Currently, I have my camera set to 40 seconds.  It detects motion, which may last for 15 seconds, but it still records for 40 seconds.  Whereas, if it stopped recording when the motion stopped, it would have only recorded for 15 seconds.  

Also, one fo the biggest complaints I have read about (and experience frequently) is the false motion detection, or motion caused by wind or light reflection.  In these cases, my camera records MANY 40 second videos - sometimes avery few minutes.  If the camera was to stop recording when motion stopped, the numerous 40 second videos would become numerous 2-5 second videos.   

I currently have just one camera, but I fully plan (or had planned) to max out with five cameras, once I determined the cameras were going to work well.  In the two months of ownership, I've already dealt with the pink video issue (night vision stuck?) and had to have my camera replaced.  So far, the pink video hasn't returned, but I SUSPECT the issue is temperature related, and because it's warmer it is not an issue.  Until I get the warm-cozy, I'm not going to add additional cameras..

manfredz
Hero
Hero

i've had other maker's line powered cams as well as battery operated sports cam and all work on principle of you set record length and they record that length , break 10-30 sec and then if movement still detected start another recording.

However, others do seem to start recording faster after motion is detected and how little movement can start recording.

But all in all I'm happy with the features of the argo

clwood
Tutor
Tutor

TexasSwede wrote:

The second change I would like to see is faster start-up time of the camera. I have one of my cameras facing a long driveway, probably close to 75 ft visibility from the camera. Still, when a FedEx or UPS delivery man walks down the driveway the camera often does not start recording until they walk right past the camera at the end of the driveway and up on the porch.

That is very irritaing. Also when a car drives up, the camera does usually not start until the car is already parked. The delays is probably close to 20 seconds, and we have a fast internet connection and the camera shows a fairly strong signal from the hub...

I have thought about using another automation tool (possibly Smartthings) to add an additional motion sensor outside that would be further ahead of the camera and trigger recording earlier so it could capture the full sequence of events. I have the same issue, the recording is actually pretty fast, just a few seconds delayed, but that seems enough time for someone to walk to the door and not be able to capture their face if they turn around.

I am also appauled that video capture as long as motion is occuring is not a basic feature. It seems like every other camera out there supports this and seems the best for a battery opperated camera would be to do this and have a limit to the recording time instead of some stupid default 10 sec to 2 mins. If I set my recording time higher I get a lot of dead video that is useless, but have to do so in the one case someone is actually trying to break in. Seems like this is not smart from a perf/battery perspective to not have dynamic length videos.

Feature should be record motion as long as it occurs up to a maximum time (to protect the battery from fully drain) and have a short few seconds of time after to continue recording just incase motion is captured really soon again.

Did someone post an idea thread that they can link here so we can all +1 it and get this noticed?

clwood
Tutor
Tutor

clwood wrote:

I am also appauled that video capture as long as motion is occuring is not a basic feature. It seems like every other camera out there supports this and seems the best for a battery opperated camera would be to do this and have a limit to the recording time instead of some stupid default 10 sec to 2 mins. If I set my recording time higher I get a lot of dead video that is useless, but have to do so in the one case someone is actually trying to break in. Seems like this is not smart from a perf/battery perspective to not have dynamic length videos.

Feature should be record motion as long as it occurs up to a maximum time (to protect the battery from fully drain) and have a short few seconds of time after to continue recording just incase motion is captured really soon again.

Did someone post an idea thread that they can link here so we can all +1 it and get this noticed?

I found in another thread that this was finally fixed very recently for Arlo Pro Wire-free cameras. I just have to go update all my rules to make it actually work. There is now an option to "record until activity stops or up to 300 seconds". I'll try it out.