Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
DomSIm
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have my 2 Arlo cameras connected to my Smartthings account, and being used in the Smartthings Smart Home Monitor. Connecting the 2 services automatically creates a new mode named "Smartthings." I am using the Smart Home monitor to manage notifications, and have disabled all notifications for this rule in the Arlo app for the Smartthings mode. I have named each camera "1" and "2" and each is set to record video and have NO notifications for the Smartthings mode. The Arlo app, after a few days, changes the rule for camera 2 to "do nothing" from camera 1 and create a push notification and renames the rule from "2" to the serial number of camera 2. I cannot turn off notifications or change it back to camera 2 and record video from this newly modified rule, as after un-selecting push notifications, the save button is grayed out. I have attached pics of how the rule should be, and how the app, or something else, is changing it to. I have to delete the rule, and re-create it each time, but it changes back within a few days.

6 REPLIES 6
DomSIm
Aspirant
Aspirant

Attached to this post is what the rule is being changed to.

brh
Master
Master

@DomSIm

You covered a lot of ground here, so let me see if I can address some of the issues.

Firstly, in the Smartthings/Arlo integration since Smartthings is controlling the cameras, setting the cameras to do nothing is normal behavior. I believe that Smartthings ignores the Modes you set up in Arlo.

Secondly, I don't believe in Arlo that you can turn off all notifications. I believe that it is one or the other. Have you tried turning off the Smartthings notifications instead?

Thirdly, name the cameras the same thing both in Arlo and Smartthings. I have not had this problem.

Brian

DomSIm
Aspirant
Aspirant

I named them the same names in Smarththings and Arlo now. I believe you are correct in Smartthings does not know or care about the mode, so long as the camera's are turned on. 

I came to the same conclusion though, that Arlo will not allow you to have no notifications at all. If so, that is disappointing. If anyone can confirm if that is the case, it would be appriciated. It is either that, or a bug. It is still just very odd, the behaviour that results though right? Changing the rule name, changing the camera that records, and turning push notifications back on.

As for disabling the notifications in Smartthings, i use those, as I can receive notifications if the Smart Home Monitor is Armed, and none if disarmed or armed home modes. Arlo does not support profiles like this. It's either always notify, or never notify. For Arlo handling notifications to work, I would have to turn the cameras off when I was home, which I prefer not to do, in case something happens while we are home. I would rather the cameras always be recording.

brh
Master
Master

@DomSIm

Create a second email account and have Arlo send notifications to that account.

Brian

DomSIm
Aspirant
Aspirant

I thought about this as a workaround, but I can add a new email to the email notification list, but there is no option that I see to remove my primary email address. I'd have to change my primaryt email address that Arlo has. I only have one email, which means either just a throw away or temporary, but since it would be registered with Arlo as my primary, I would have to keep track of it.

DomSIm
Aspirant
Aspirant

Never mind, you can through the web interface, but cannot delete the primary address through the android app. That'll work as a work around for the time being. Thank you