Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation
Jdennis3
Initiate
Initiate
I noticed it stated local storage will be available with the new pro system. Will the current system get an update to allow local storage as well?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

TBMK, the older base will not support the Local mem card record.... don't expect a SW upgrade for this

The new base has a much faster processor and 5x+ more intenal memory to prob handle this.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
Ivve
Tutor
Tutor
Hello. Did you find any answers to this question? I really wish the current system will be available to store locally. Otherwise Netgear is screwing us. The base has 2 USB already.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

TBMK, the older base will not support the Local mem card record.... don't expect a SW upgrade for this

The new base has a much faster processor and 5x+ more intenal memory to prob handle this.

Morse is faster than texting!
Jdennis3
Initiate
Initiate

That's what I kind of figured. Luckily for me I just bought the current version so I was able to return and will be ordering the new one since local storage was one of the negative features of the current version for me.

netcam
Star
Star

so now it is called "older base"? !

What about people who bought it few months ago?

Did they buy old junk?

I still have support email calling Arlo "fairly new system".

livewire713
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well thats BS, what are the usb ports used for on the "old" basestation?

Ivve
Tutor
Tutor
According to Netgear, for futures use. Haha Netgear never listens to users, they are BS. This should have been there from start.
unco
Star
Star

Quite disappointed in this too.  The USB ports on the original base have not been utilised and now they've moved on to a new base so the original will never be thought of again.

Adewale
Luminary
Luminary
It's really disappointing that they have chosen to not make the USB port usable on the original base station. If the company was hoping current users will put up more money to buy the new system that should have been the system in the first place then they are mistaken. I'll rather junk this arlo system and go to the competition for the same cost than buy the new system despite the compelling features
Adewale
Luminary
Luminary

yeah, its quite disappointing. Netgear is only interested in churning out new hardware and ignoring the existing ones. i'm sure 95% of Netgear staff are involved with new product development in one form or the other.

Netgear seems to forget their business is providing 'products' that are tangible and their customers have to live with these products, see them everyday and feeling shortchanged and taking for a ride as opposed to providing 'services' that can be consumed and be done with so you can move on to an improved version of the service  and its not sensible or even possible to keep buying new versions of netgear product when the shortcomings of the product you have gets fixed on the new one and the exsiting ones abandoned

mfordky
Aspirant
Aspirant

I will be an Arlo user for a total of 24 hours since I plan to return it in the morning.

Why artifically cripple a device just to get everyone to upgrade to the 'pro' version. I'm sorry, but disagree with any inference that it requires the upgraded processor to manage writing the stream to usb drive. The fact that the unit is able to stream it to the cloud requires more buffering and overhead than to send it to a USB drive. 

I bought mine on sale thinking two things: #1 - as I can afford it, I can add cameras. #2 - that I can record it locally (I didn't realize that the distinction when purchasing it, but saw the USB drives and assumed that would be their purpose)

The reason for #1 was that since they are kinda expensive, I could purchase the ones I needed as I could, maybe the HD for the front porch, SD ones for driveways, yard, etc. and even the Arlo Q for inside. Again, being a new owner, I didn't know that Netgear was crippling this unit to 'encourage' upgrades. 

The reason for #2 was that I live in a rural area and we often have interruptions with our network.  If it recorded locally, I would have essentially a backup on the USB drive if anything happened at a time when the internet was interrupted. 

Netgear - I will be sending this back and you can sell it to someone else. You should consider your model and maybe offer the local storage as an entry model and the cloud storage as the 'Pro' model. 

Emrah
Aspirant
Aspirant
What is the purpose of 2 usb ports then? Not even 1 but 2. Why did I pay for these ports and the hardware behind? It is a scam.selling you a big hope that it will come but legally always protected by saying 'never committed'
wallacepost
Guide
Guide
That's why This is the 1st time that I purchased 2 set of Arlo cam 3 x cams plus base station x 2sets. And this is going to be the last time I purchase your product, I will spread out the words.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
It's not like this hasn't been known since Arlo 2as first introduced.
manfredz
Hero
Hero

spread the word that they never provided something they never said they would?

When a new model car has new features do you expect the manufacturer to retrofit it on previous models?

AlexDoran
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm sorry but that is a totally ridiculous comparison, unless the USB ports are Dead Blanks and not connected internally, then a firmware update would render them useable - probably the same firmware for the Pro could be easily adapted to be used on the "old" base. It's not like we are asking to all be sent free Pro Base's, we just want maximum performance from the hardware we have - everyone knows it's possible, it is simply a money grabbing protocol by Netgear when the systems themselves already carry a premium pricetag, why not offer consumers maximum functionality for their money?

Even the money grabbing experts apple backwards support devices with firmware updates.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

understand its hardware related two, the Pro has a faster processor making usb storage possible.

For the rest we'll have to agree to disagree

AlexDoran
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is the video encoding / processing done server side? One would think that the Base Station processes the footage and then uploads it to the cloud after, if so then there would be no reason why it could not then write to External Storage instead.

wallacepost
Guide
Guide

Are you serious believing this is hardware issue? you bought a computer , does it say you can make post on the Alro forum? 

A crappy $150, 5 year old wifi cam from the ebay can streaming online and recording locally, it is just the matter of the software supporting, if the processor as an excuse storing highest quality, im sure at least lower quality bit will do trick. When you paying a premium price for something, you do have a premium expection, isnt? 

By the way, whats the 2 x usb port for? where is there future plan? the pro is out already. Was the reason if 1st verson didint sell well for the cloud service, and then they can addon the local recording to save the product falling!?

AlexDoran
Aspirant
Aspirant

I wonder if there is a way to flash the Pro firmware on the "Old" Base Station.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

gut feeling is, even if you could, you'd teash your base station instead