Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo internet connection to the base station

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
falkonsaoth
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a question about the Arlo base station. Should the Arlo base connected to a router or it can be connected to a wifi extender via ethernet cable because I have a big house and my router located in another level in my house and it is hard to run the cable through the house.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
brh
Master
Master

@falkonsaoth

Some people use wifi extenders or power line extenders, As you stated, the base stations must be connected to the router through an ethernet cable. Another solution would be to purchase a mesh routing system, such as Netgear's Orbi, etc. and more base stations, (you can have an unlimited number of base stations and they don't add to your subscription price), to give you uniform signal strength to all your cameras. I originally used extenders but the problem with that is each extender has a different wifi name for its connection and as you add more devices from other manufacturers, that can lead to problems. the mesh systems with satellites will all use the same wifi name. Because of the extra ethernet ports on the Orbi satellites I settled on that system and it has worked out great for me.

Brian

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
brh
Master
Master

@falkonsaoth

Some people use wifi extenders or power line extenders, As you stated, the base stations must be connected to the router through an ethernet cable. Another solution would be to purchase a mesh routing system, such as Netgear's Orbi, etc. and more base stations, (you can have an unlimited number of base stations and they don't add to your subscription price), to give you uniform signal strength to all your cameras. I originally used extenders but the problem with that is each extender has a different wifi name for its connection and as you add more devices from other manufacturers, that can lead to problems. the mesh systems with satellites will all use the same wifi name. Because of the extra ethernet ports on the Orbi satellites I settled on that system and it has worked out great for me.

Brian

falkonsaoth
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks