Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo drops out again and needs to be reset

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
frankpgh
Apprentice
Apprentice

Why does this keep happening?  My system was fine for a couple of months and for the past 2 months has had nothing but problems.  The latest problem is that the base unit stops talking to the cloud.  I get no notifications, recordings, etc.  If I log in, there is no indication of a problem.  My cameras all show as online but nothing is happening.

I have to go into the app and reset the base unit.  No - I don't have to power cycle it - I just have to soft reset and then it reconnects.  I am not having any problems with my Internet access at all.  

Why can't you send me a notification when my base unit stops talking to the cloud?  I have no idea until I go outside and walk by a camera with no alert.  You are putting my property at risk.

YOU ARE NOT SECURING MY HOUSE!  Someone needs to get a class action suit put together as you claim to provide security and charge people for cloud subscriptions but you can't provide what you are claiming!

2 REPLIES 2
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

frankpgh,

I have a few questions to bring more clarity to the issue you are having. What mode are you using when you experience this behavior? Are you using a schedule? What color is the running man when you are having the issue (black, grey). What is indicating to you that the base is not communicating with the cloud (you say there is no indication of a problem when viewing the cameras). When triggering a motion detection event on the cameras, does the running man turn amber? Are you able to manually record when you experience this behavior?

JamesC

frankpgh
Apprentice
Apprentice

HI James, 

The last two times I noticed the problem after leaving the house so I couldn't do much additional testing.  Basically, here's what happened - 

I would leave the house which would normally trigger an Arlo alerts as I pass by two cameras.  At some point, I realize that I never received the alert and I'll login to the app to find the camera status screen showing me the last screen capture that it took before the problem.  The library page will not have any recent motion captures.  

If I try to do a live feed on a camera I'll get the green screen error stating the the base unit is not communicating.  If I flip over into settings and reset the base unit from the App the cameras will reconnect.

I have had the cameras up since December and this problem has only recently started to occur.  Everything was fine until the delays and outages that your network was experiencing a few weeks ago that led you to disable the counter.  Since then, I have been having these problems.  I am also burning through batteries quickly and get little warning that the batteries are low.

My initial batteries lasted from the install in early December until almost the end of February.  Then two of my camears had to have new batteries exchanged in 2 weeks.

If there is a problem with my base unit communicating to the cloud or the cameras communicating to the base, I would expect to get a notification of some sort.  I do not want to wait until I realize no motion was detected for me to reset the unit.  My concern is that if I travel for business or pleasure I may not have the security in place that I need, and may be unaware of any communication or system problem.

All cameras report full network strength (one or two may be down to 2 lines instead of 3).  The cameras have been installed in the same spots since the initial install.

The next time I feel it's having an issue I'll try to track the indicators more closely.

Thank you!