Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo cameras offline on app

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Helatruralhome
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have a netgear ac1900 model r7000 router and a tp link n300 modem router and two original Arlo cameras. For some reason they are showing offline on the app but I'm getting email notifications when movement is detected so they clearly are online. How can I get the app to show them as online?
18 REPLIES 18
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Helatruralhome,

Have you tried to reboot the base station & remove/re-install the Arlo Mobile App?

Helatruralhome
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello yes I have and I'm still getting the same issue. The cameras and base station are online but the app is saying the base station and cameras are offline.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Helatruralhome,

What are the status LED lights displaying on the base station?

Helatruralhome
Aspirant
Aspirant
It's a router rather than a base station but all the lights are white or green (as they should be) the issue is with the app not recognising everything is online I think rather than the actual cameras or base station but I'm concerned that if I remove the cameras from the app and try to re-add them they won't work at all.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The LEDs on the base are what's important. That's why the question was asked..

If you remove the cameras they won't work until you resync them. The root of your problem seems to be getting the base to connect to the servers.
Helatruralhome
Aspirant
Aspirant
It's so frustrating as I'm getting email alerts and I can view the recorded footage but the app says the base station and cameras are offline when they clearly aren't.
doctord23
Aspirant
Aspirant

If has to be a change on Netgears end because I have 2 R7000 routers that have been running my Arlo cameras at work and home fine for the last 2 years. First the home router went offline and now the work router shows offline on an account that I have a paid subscription. Cameras still record but I can't watch live video.

Thanks Netgear for f-in it up!

First you sell us a router with Arlo funtionality, then remove the functionality so that we can't update frimware and now make our routers offline.

How about fixing it??

Why should I pay for service when you screw it up?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you had any interest in the functionality, you would have known that the Arlo integration with the R7k was aborted years ago, The firmware stopped being updated long ago and if you had bothered to keep the router firmware updated you would have known that Arlo support had been removed. Your security procedures need to be revisited since your router firmware hasn't been updated for a long time. Shame on you.

The rest of the issue is that the updates to the app and website keep pace with firmware updates. You're so far out of date that you've risked your security, both on the router as well as Arlo fronts, badly. It's not Netgear that f'ed up - it's you. Blame the proper entitiy - you.

Helatruralhome
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have gone on this site to ask how to fix this not to be attacked. Can you please tell me what I need to do as I try to keep everything up to date..
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It helps if you have the information pertinent to the issue in the first place. I was a tester for the R7k with Arlo and have posted many times here about how it didn't work out and what had to be done. A search might have found it.

Your only choice is to remove all devices from your R7Ks, buy at least one base station and use that to set up your system You used two routers so you may need two bases. Using your Arlo login, use the Add Device button (web) or + (app) to claim the base(s). Sync the cameras. Update firmware as you go.

ANd update the firmware in your routers right away. Factory reset the routers, update the firmware and reset again before setting things back up. You're way out of date for security patches.

Helatruralhome
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi. If I purchase this base station for my two original Arlo cameras and connect it to my TP Link N300 modem router should this get me up and running again?

Uk Stock NETGEAR Arlo Base Station VMB3000 (no Cameras included) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GSLX8PW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_kHW8Bb4JSYHD9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes but, as I said before, you'll need to remove the cameras from the existing configuration, claim the new base and then sync the cameras to the base. It effectively is a brand new setup.

Helatruralhome
Aspirant
Aspirant
The cameras aren't synced to anything currently as the updated firmware on the r7000 as you said doesn't support them. How do I claim the base? Is it just a case of connecting it to my router then pressing the sync button on the base and cameras and then adding to the app?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I would first check your Arlo account and remove anything you find in Settings, My Devices. After that, use the Add Device button (web) or + (app) to claim the base (bes ure to use the base selection and not the wire-free cameras). Once the base has been claimed, you don't need to use the interface to sync the cameras. Just briefly press the base sync button (don't hold it) and then the camera sync button. Update firmware if prompted as you go. The base may well need it but the cameras will for sure since they're currently on antique firmware.

Helatruralhome
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you. I'll order a base and see how it goes 🙂
doctord23
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jguerdat wrote:

If you had any interest in the functionality, you would have known that the Arlo integration with the R7k was aborted years ago, The firmware stopped being updated long ago and if you had bothered to keep the router firmware updated you would have known that Arlo support had been removed. Your security procedures need to be revisited since your router firmware hasn't been updated for a long time. Shame on you.

The rest of the issue is that the updates to the app and website keep pace with firmware updates. You're so far out of date that you've risked your security, both on the router as well as Arlo fronts, badly. It's not Netgear that f'ed up - it's you. Blame the proper entitiy - you.

I'm glad you think so highly of your own opinion.

Let me speak in fanboy language so maybe you'll understand:

Thank you Netgear for selling me two R7000 routers at $300 each with Arlo functionality that allowed my Arlo system to have range superior to the standard base stations so that it functioned to meet my needs. Thank you for removing that functionality in future firmware such that I am no longer able to upgrade firware to stay safe. Thank you for changing your online system so that my routers now show as offline and I no can longer view live feeds or see device status even though they are still online as evidenced by continued recordings. Thank you for forcing my hand to revert to sub-standard range base stations that will not connect to two of my camera locations. I'll keep gladly paying you a yearly subscription for this fantastic customer experience.

It's not that I don't know how to fix it Mr. Guru, it's that they sold me a couple of lemons and you expect me to make lemonade. I don't need your opinion, I have my own.

I don't need your advice unless you can tell me how to get cameras at maximum range to come back online with a standard base station with no network or power available between the locations.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since the bases effectively have the same signal strentgh as a router, it would seem that you would just use a base instead of the router. Have you tried it and found it didn't work?

doctord23
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jguerdat wrote:

Since the bases effectively have the same signal strentgh as a router, it would seem that you would just use a base instead of the router. Have you tried it and found it didn't work?

Yes, the R7000 definitely consistently works for cameras that are on the fringe at 300 feet away from it. This is a mini stoage business that has some building interference between the office and camera locations. I could never maintain consistent connection with the original base evan at 250 feet away so that is why I bought the R7000s. I heard that the new VMB4000 base station might be an improvement, but it is still listed as having the same range. Anyone have feedback on maximum range for the VMB4000?