Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
BillSF
Tutor
Tutor

I just had an Arlo camera stolen from the front of my house. Can it be tracked or blocked via a serial number or MAC address?

46 REPLIES 46
BillSF
Tutor
Tutor

So, I just bought a new camera. There is a serial number and MAC address on the bottom of the box. 

Question is, what can Netgear provide in help to victims of stolen cameras, given there are unique identifiers for each camera. Since this is a cloud based system, it would seem the cloud would know at least the MAC address of every device provisioning the cloud storage. Wouldn't it?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

BillSF wrote:

I just had an Arlo camera stolen from the front of my house. Can it be tracked or blocked via a serial number or MAC address?

No... to the best of my knowledge, any camera can link to any base, not blocked via mac.

The Arlo base tho if not removed from an account can be blocked.

( if wrong the mods will chime in )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

One big promise of cloud based security is the ability to use the cloud to make your system more secure.  Unlike non-cloud systems, it would be trivial for Arlo to implement a revocation system based on serial number (or some other method like the device's MAC or encryption keys) that could be checked regularly when you sync to the cloud.  One would hope that Netgear would have the forethought to do this, considering how easy it is to steal a "completely wire free" device.

BillSF
Tutor
Tutor

Agreed. Clearly, the Arlo cloud knows what the serial number of the camera is. The SN is part of the URL for each camera's settings.

As in... https://arlo.netgear.com/#/settings/device/sn-goes-here/camera

You make a good point. It's a device intended to be mounted outside (or inside) and therefore prone to theft. As I have demonstrated unfortunately. Would seem a simple bit of software for a clould based system to flag a camera as stolen and disable it.

Tocker30
Apprentice
Apprentice
I believe sky bell has a system like tha in place. If it is stolen from your front door it can be permanently deactivated by the company based on its sn
SteveHale
Guide
Guide
I know, this got necro-revived but, just... Curious.

If it's Troubleshooting, an Official Arlo rep would jump in, but when it's about the device being stolen... silence?

Ring has a replacement plan in place. All you need is a Police Report. I like my Arlo system, but what does Arlo have by now?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

SteveHale,

At this time there is no replacement plan for stolen or lost Arlo devices. If your camera has been stolen, we recommend contacting the police and filing a report.

JamesC

manfredz
Hero
Hero

Can understand why Netgear won't replace a stolen cam.

Am I right though, that if the thief or person buying the stolen cam tries to register it to another base station, that won't work if it's still registered to your base station?

Does netgear maintain a database of stole cams or systems to give a alert if someone else tries to register such?

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

As long as you don't "remove" it from your installed devices, no one else will be able to take ownership and synch it to a different base station.

SteveHale
Guide
Guide
Thanks James for clarification.
Target_Acquired
Apprentice
Apprentice

This camera system is not new.  Why does Netgear NOT yet have tracking turned on for all Arlo devices?

Netgear has all the power here!  They should be marketing the new tracking system for Arlo and if they're not, they should start writing code Monday morning and SAY they've been working on this for a year.  My cell phone, 7 year old laptop, and my 6 year old iPad can do it, why can't Netgear?

In this day and age of connectivity and tracking capabilities (I can track my run with enough granularity that I can see on a map which SIDE of the road I ran on), there is no excuse for car companies, video/still camera makers, computer manufacturers, or NETWORK GEAR MAKERS to not be working on this.

Come on Netgear, fix this.  If any of my cameras hooks up with an unfamiliar base-station, they should "phone home".

manfredz
Hero
Hero

although it would be a nice feature to have, can't help but wonder how this would affect battery life.

Target_Acquired
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hello.  It wouldn't have to affect battery life in any appreciable way.  Anytime you connect a camera to a base unit, do this:

1.  "Camera 8Q45T calling to base unit"

2.  "Hello camera 8Q45T.  This is Base Unit 994DA41"

3.  "Hello Base unit.  Requesting login and permission to enter orbit."

4.  "Checking with Mother Ship Arlo Central.  Please stand by."

5.  "Hello Camera 8Q45T.  Mother Ship says you're good to go.  Permission granted to enter standard orbit.

...or...

5.  "Hello Camera 8Q45T.  Mothership has requested additional information, so we have sent her our solar system coordinates.  We'll have to ask you to enter low-power mode while we send an admin to your location."

6.  "Very well, Base Unit.  Entering cryogenic mode.  We will continue to transmit telemetry for as long as power cells hold up."

I will say, however, that I don't think Arlo owners are stealing cameras from other Arlo owners.  It's probably a lot more likely that thieves or neighbor kids are pulling the cameras off their mounts and throwing them in the garbage or into the woods across the street.  You can probably throw an Arlo camera far enough to get it out of range, maybe even while avoiding getting caught on camera.

This is why every camera outside my home has at least 1 other camera looking in its direction.  They protect each other.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

yeah you're probably right about the handskaking not using much juice.  But Netgear would need to maintain a database of stolen cameras with requirement to send copy of police report.  Probably not worth the squeezing because you're right, very little resale value since you need to have a base station and it can't be registered unless owener had deleted it from their system.  My system I bought refurbished from Best Buy and it wasn't unregistered before reselling so I couldn't register it until I sent Netgear proof of purchase and they cleared.

Yes having cams watch each other good idea. One advantage of cloud storage over SD card in cam is video of theft doesnt go with the cam. ( but I like the idea of local storage on the base station as the Pro does)

carrielee2112
Initiate
Initiate

Go to the Idea Exchange and suggest this feature!

Terrific idea!

https://community.netgear.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/arlo-idea-exchange

Papasmasher
Initiate
Initiate
I just purchased my Arlo system at Bestbuy in Langley BC (August 17, 1017). And was told that if a component is stolen Arlo will replace it. Am i to take this as not correct? It is one of the main reasons I purchased it. Please inform me correctly.
manfredz
Hero
Hero

thats a new one for me.

Did you get something in writing or are you just goinng on what a sales person told you?

The Arlo can be a great system but not that great that loss gets you a guaranteed replacement.

Panga
Aspirant
Aspirant

I wish if there was a UNLIKE button below your answers.

Even Ring.com which sells only a door bell replaces the device for free. When will you learn to value your customers?

Do you really think that police is going to investigate a stolen camera at the front of your house.. ? Please dont loose your marbles.

Maxx001
Initiate
Initiate

Having experienced what seems to be lack of pretty basic feature I can’t any more recommend device as outside security camera.  

c_lee
Tutor
Tutor
That would be a terrific feature! No I don't expect police to find it-- but if it is "made useless" after being stolen that would cut down on crime once word got out. It could even be advertised as a selling point.
ScottHumphrey
Aspirant
Aspirant
I had to Arlo cameras stolen. The police department is sensually said, you are stupid for buying $200 cameras which are mounted with magnets and are easily pairable with any other system. Initially I thought Arlo cameras were a good idea. When I found out, after mine were stolen, that anyone can use them I realized what a dumb decision I made buying these cameras.
ukage
Aspirant
Aspirant
I think you are all missing a massive point. Why can’t you buy a wall mount with a lock 🔐 or 🔑 key so no one can steel the camera in the first place?
jasonx101
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've already suggested that but so far nothing has happened.

mocodi
Apprentice
Apprentice

Recent video I came across of an Arlo camera being stolen:

It appears the thief quickly unscrewed it from a threaded mount which is, ironically, Netgear's suggestion for theft-resistance.

There may be little that can be done to prevent this sort of theft, but the cameras might become less attractive targets if stolen devices could be blocked from the Arlo network and effectively rendered useless.