Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo camera rechargeable batteries draining quickly

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
titicaca
Aspirant
Aspirant

"The rechargeable 123 cells have only half the capacity of non-rechargeable.

The most capacity you will get is about 750mahr. ( if they say anything more it's false as you can only physically fit that much chems in that size package )

Use the li-ion 3.7v cells and they will last half the time of the OEM. But, it is a big money savings."

my question is how long should batteries last??? As I have spent over $80.00 on batteries as they drained in about 2-3 day at most.  I have ordered rechargeable batteries. (Tenergy)  and you state rechargeables should last 1/2 life as non rechargeable. How long is 1/2 life???

8 REPLIES 8
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@titicaca wrote:

my question is how long should batteries last??? ... they drained in about 2-3 day at most. 

That depends on two things:

• how much streaming the cameras need to do every day.  More streaming -> more battery use.
  • how often the camera loses touch with the base.  More reconnection tries -> more battery use.

About how many minutes of recording are you getting every day from the cameras?  Are you seeing any evidence of lost connections (failure to live stream a camera, pixelation or gaps/stutters in recordings, etc)?

@titicaca wrote:

you state rechargeables should last 1/2 life as non rechargeable. How long is 1/2 life???

If you need to replace good quality regular batteries every 4 days, then you'd need to replace the rechargables about every 2 days (and then recharge them).  

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

In my normal use ( Arlo HD cams ) the OEM cells last almost 3 months while the rechargeables run 1 1/2.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
titicaca
Aspirant
Aspirant

I guess I have a lot of "learning" to do but on my app as on the Arlo Web Portal. (myarlo.com) I cannot find any settings so that I can make changes as to recording times, schedule times (I cannot set the schedules in the myarlo.com portal.) I will keep reading but instructions on arlo site are not what I am seeing in web portal..

titicaca
Aspirant
Aspirant

So with OEM rechargeable batteries I should get at least 1 month?? As that is not happening. I am getting a couple of days only..  Hmmmnnnnnnn....

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@titicaca wrote:

I guess I have a lot of "learning" to do but on my app as on the Arlo Web Portal. (myarlo.com) I cannot find any settings so that I can make changes as to recording times, schedule times (I cannot set the schedules in the myarlo.com portal.) I will keep reading but instructions on arlo site are not what I am seeing in web portal..

myarlo.com is a fake site, so be careful to use my.arlo.com.

To change recording times, you click on the modes control at the top (should be immediately to the right of "Library").  Then select your base station on the left.  Click on "Armed" after that,  then edit the rule for the camera.  You'll see "record video" in the "then do the following" section.  Click on the > and you'll be able to control recording time.

For schedule, click on "Schedule" instead of "Armed".

titicaca
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks again Stephen.. BTW I moved my base station and connected it  to the extender. It has only been a couple of hours but they seem to be working fine with no disconnects so far.. (they would have disconnected by now)  I hope that solves those issues..

titicaca
Aspirant
Aspirant

Batteries are still draining about every other day, I did purchase OEM rechargeables along with resetting all filters as to not record anything and same issues........For me it would be acceptable if they lasted at least a week or so...

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support