Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo camera fails firmware update

Discussion stats
  • 29 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
baarnett
Aspirant
Aspirant

Following previous posts; I've unpluged base station, waited several minutes, plugged back in.  All 4 of my cameras re-sync'd and came back online.  The 5th one didn't, again...  It has been prompting to update firmware for a month.  Every time I try, it fails.  I've changed batteries and tried to reconnect it to the base station.  Last night I recycled base station again, waited overnight with camera on and ready but nothing automatic happened.  I tried the update firmware again and it failed.  What now?

29 REPLIES 29
brh
Master
Master

@baarnett

You will probably need to to a factory reset. Here is the link on how to do that.

https://kb.arlo.com/1057976/How-can-I-reset-my-Arlo-base-station-to-the-default-values

If that doesn't work, contact Customer Support at the link near the bottom of this page.

Brian

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Try bringing the 5th camera closer to the base for the firmware update. Do you have decent internet speed?

baarnett
Aspirant
Aspirant

Tried that.  Camera 1-3' away from base.  Even after reset.  Have fiber to my house so speed isn't a problem.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you tried removing and resyncing the camera?

vilate
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem with a new system that the firmware won't update. 

(I've another system at my other home and it works fine, so I know this is not typical.)

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Assuming you don't have slow Internet, remove all devices from Settings, My Devices and start fresh. Use the Add Device button on the Devices tab to add the base and then sync the cameras. That should resolve the problem.

baarnett
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, multiple times.  Removed device, added back, and re-sync within 3' of base.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A final step before opening a case with support would be to remove all devices in Settings, My Devices and start fresh. Use the Add Device button on the Devices tab to claim the base and then sync the cameras. If that fails, you're going to have to open a case with support here since it could be faulty hardware.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

If [removing all devices, factory reset by holding in the reset button with a paper clip etc til the power light goes amber from green, waiting for it to reboot and connect to the internet, adding the base, resync'ing all the cameras] doesn't work, it's time to contact support at the bottom of the page and open a support ticket

vilate
Aspirant
Aspirant

I will try factory reset tonight, even though it’s a brand new system.  I removed all devices and Arlo app. was then unable to even see station.  (Other devices in house had internet & Wi-Fi connections.)  The base station continues to have three continual green lights.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Removing the base from Settings mean you won't see anything until you reclaim it. Not sure why the base shows a green Camera LED after removing it - I would have expected solid amber. So, be sure to press the reset button until the LEDs flash amber. Then use Add Device on the Devices tab to claim the base and then sync the cameras.

vilate
Aspirant
Aspirant

Perhaps did not explain well enough.  I had removed all "local" devices.  When I added device basestation, Arlo app. stated could not connect.  (I have two iPhones and unsuccessful from both.)  Icon did not display in either phones "Devices" menu.  All three basestation lights did turn to solid green.  Perhaps, is there a compatable issue with the latest Apple iPhone ios?

brh
Master
Master

@vilate

To see if the newest ios upgrade is bricking your system, if you have a windows PC, log into your account and let us know what you see. I don't think that it is an iPhone problem.

Brian

vilate
Aspirant
Aspirant

When I first began installing, I was using a pc. After I upgraded service to more than 5 cameras, one camera was fine and the other wanted Firmware upgrade.  By that time, I was using phone commands only. (That leads us to this point.)  FYI - I do have a second system in the remote mountains that I am still able to monitor, but have not removed/reset those. Can't do pc test for couple days.

vilate
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was able to finish setup using an iPad.  I do not see the alarm for this base station.  How do I add it?

brh
Master
Master

@vilate

Your post indicates that you are using the original HD cameras and base station. There is no alarm or siren with this unit. If this info is incorrect and you are using a Pro base station, in your devicesin the settings section , you will have two instances of the base station, one with a bell icon next to it and the other with no icon. The siren is the one with the bell icon.

Brian

vilate
Aspirant
Aspirant

Oh no, I just bought this system!  I didn't realize it didn't have an alarm.  (System in mountains does.)

How do I return this system?

brh
Master
Master

@vilate

Where did you purchase the system from?

Brian

vilate
Aspirant
Aspirant

Home Depot, online.

brh
Master
Master

You need to contact their Customer Service and work out the details for a return/exchange. Their Customer Service phone number is:

1 (800) 466-3337

Brian

brh
Master
Master

@vilate

Worse comes to worse, you can purchase an Arlo Base Station that has the siren built in and connect these cameras to it,

I believe all the cameras can trigger the siren or you can trigger it manually if something happens in your home, (which is what I recommend). Then use this base in a different location that does not need the siren.

Brian

vilate
Aspirant
Aspirant

Noted, I'll try to return.  Nothing but problems with this system and I'm an experienced Arlo user!!! 

Problems:

--Setup - Firmware update needed - updates failing

--Continually on and offline - Unreliable/undependable!!

I need to have the option to turn on alarm in both homes. 

vilate
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can't return the system as don't have original box.  (only cut barcode from box)

I wasted my money!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You sure give up easily. Even if you can't return it, there's a 1 year warranty that you can invoke by opening a case here. Use the Contact Support link at the bottom here and then again on the new page.