Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo camera detects motion but will not record

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
tsmadm
Tutor
Tutor

I installled 4 Arlo wire free cameras and they will record and the live feed works manually. When I enable the mode to detect motion, it detects and I get an alert, but there is no video recorded. I have tried resetting the whole system and starting over, taking the batteries out of the cameras and reseting them, creating a new mode to detect and record video, and nothing seems to help. I need to get this going or return them. Please advise.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
tsmadm
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks all for the reply. I figured it out finally.

I had to remove ALL devices, reset the base unit (2x). This seemed to force a code upgrade on the base unit and the cameras. I had to reboot the cameras a couple times to take the update, but when all said and done....it works great.

I do have one suggestion though, I would like to see the ability to have multiple modes set with different cameras. For Example, I want to have the inside cameras armed during a schedule while we sleep and the outside cameras always armed. I work from home so I don't want the inside cameras recording while I am home. Basically, I have to disarm the outside cameras while I am home during the day.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Try set up a new custom mode. It'll run your through the set up of each camera one by one and you can even add additional rules to have one camera trigger another as well. Make sure you click the arrow next to motion sensitivity to adjust that parameter and also the one next to record which allows you to select how long to record for. Then choose that mode and see how it goes from there

arlomaster
Guide
Guide
can you check one thing?

Go into Mode in your phone app, and click the pencil icon next to Armed (or whichever mode you've actually selected,) click the pencil icon next to one of the rules, and then look at the section in the middle of the page that's titled "Then do the following"

Does it say to record?
tsmadm
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks all for the reply. I figured it out finally.

I had to remove ALL devices, reset the base unit (2x). This seemed to force a code upgrade on the base unit and the cameras. I had to reboot the cameras a couple times to take the update, but when all said and done....it works great.

I do have one suggestion though, I would like to see the ability to have multiple modes set with different cameras. For Example, I want to have the inside cameras armed during a schedule while we sleep and the outside cameras always armed. I work from home so I don't want the inside cameras recording while I am home. Basically, I have to disarm the outside cameras while I am home during the day.

arlomaster
Guide
Guide
That's possible already. Check around the forums.

It basically just requires you to set up a new mode, create a schedule, and use Geofencing as a mode so your base knows if you're home or away.
tsmadm
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the reply, however, since I have my cell and my wife's cell listed in the geofence, it puts the device in armed mode when one of us leaves. I still dont think you can run two modes at the same time.

arlomaster
Guide
Guide

I see, that's quite frustrating.  Arlo needs to fix that.

I guess your only other option is to set it on a fixed schedule, armed at night, exterior cams on during the day.  Not perfect, but can get you part of the way there.