Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo camera (1st gen) no longer sending notifications after updating plan (?)

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Atlantagreg
Tutor
Tutor

I have the 1st gen Arlo wireless cameras.  We decided to add extra cameras so updated from the free cloud plan to the $10 per month plan.  Immediately upon doing so, I got an icon on my device page of the app asking me to create zones for the cams, so I tried to create one for the driveway to reduce cars driving by setting it off.  Did not work - at all.  As a matter of fact, it stopped picking up even when a car pulled right up to the cam!  Figured out how to delete the zone, and now, that camera won't send notifications at all!

Note:  I've discovered the camera still is taking video clips - it's just not sending my phone notifications.  I have already done the following:

Rebooted the base station

Removed the camera/batteries and re-synced it to the base

Removed it from the "mode" and put it back making sure the notification checks are on.

Un-installed the Android app, and re-installed it.

Still - nothing.  It's recording video and sending the email after-the-fact, but not sending me motion notifications to my Android phone even after all of the above. All settings are the way they were before when it worked.  I haven't heard back from a direct inquiry to Arlo.  The motion notification is important to me so I need to get this going again. Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try moving the camera to deactivated in Smart. Go to Settings, Manage Arlo Smart, Edit and drag the camera to deactivate it.

It may be useful to remove the camera from Settings, My Devices and resync. Be sure to add it back to your modes.

Atlantagreg
Tutor
Tutor

Dumb question I guess, but HOW do you drag it to the deactivated area??

Once I'm in the Manage Arlo Smart area of the Android app, it does nothing.  The cameras are listed, but I can't press any of them, drag them, move them, etc.  The menu area on the right is unresponsive when I press is, as is the camera icon.  In other words all I see are a list of cameras with no ability to do anything with them?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Remember I ended the path with Edit? You have to edit to be able to move the cameras around. Are you using the app or a browser? Have you tried both?

Atlantagreg
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, @jguerdat, I remember about "edit".  I DID press to Edit several times - all that happened is that the edit turned into "done", and yet it would still not highlight and/or allow me to move the cameras.  The rest of that screen was just frozen/dead.  Tried multiple times, reopened the app, etc.  At one point the edit option even disappeared, and then re-appeared later again (??).  Either way - kept trying and on the 8th attempt, I was able to drag the camera to "inactive".

Didn't work.  Still no notifications.  I resynced it, rebooted everything, etc... nothing.  As a matter of fact, somehow along the way, ALL of my cameras stopped sending the phone notifications.  All of them, now.  They do record video, and they do send an email, but no phone notifications.  Permissions are granted in the app, notifications on, etc.  Other apps (Ring doorbell, etc) continue to work correctly.  I again, earlier, uninstalled and re-installed the app too - didn't work.  Have done everything mentioned as instructed in all previous posts above.

I called Google support (as this is a Pixel 2 phone).  They've never heard of this happening specifically although the woman I spoke with said she had one or two calls from people who had issues with the Arlo app in the past, but re-installing it worked for them.  Not for me.  She double checked my settings and said it SHOULD be working, but isn't.

So I'm stumped. I don't exactly live in Mayberry though - there have been thefts in my area (even our cars were hit) so getting notifications is VERY important to me.

Can there be something buggy about the latest Feb 14th version of the app?  I've noticed when I download it to re-install again, it's hanging at 99% for several minutes before installing.  NO other apps are doing this.