Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Tspacker
Follower
Follower

Is there a way to add arlo cam or arlo base station into an alarm.com system? 

3 REPLIES 3
yellowraregt
Guide
Guide

If you use an iPhone or an iPad and have the IOS operating system, there is a cool program called 'Stringify' that will allow you to link multiple web-based, phone/tablet/computer controlled items.  It works like IFTTT.  I have Hue lights and Amazon Echo, so I know for certain that you can turn on lights if Arlo detects motion.  I would imagine if your alarm is web-based that you could probably do it through that program.  Not certain though.

EArms
Tutor
Tutor
Stringify works reasonably well for this use case, using a Gmail account. 1. In the alarm.com interface, have alarm.com send you an email email for each type of event trigger. E.g. When the system is armed, send an email to xxxxx@gmail.com. When the system is disarmed, send an email to xxxxx@gmail.com. Etc. 2. In Gmail, create labels for each type of event trigger. E.g. Armed Stay, Armed Away, Disarmed 3. In Gmail, create rules to automatically apply the appropriate labels to incoming emails from alarm.com 4. Create new flows in Stringify to activate the settings you want based on the Gmail labels. How this works in practice: When I arm my alarm.com system an email gets sent to my gmail account . The email is automatically labeled as "System Armed". Stringify sees that new email with its label and arms my Arlo cameras. Similarly, when I disarm my alarm.com system, the email triggers Stringify to disarm my Arlo cameras. I'm able to use this flow to arm two Arlo Qs plus the Arlo Pro. A limitation I've found with this setup is that only Arlo's default Modes (Armed/Disarmed) are supported in Stringify (and IFTTT). If you have custom modes in Arlo, Stringify can't activate them. Considerations: You have to give Stringify access to your Gmail account in order for this to work, so I recommend creating a dedicated Gmail account just for this purpose. You also have to give Stringify your Netgear Arlo login credentials, so do your research about how tokens are used to protect your credentials so you can take that into consideration when you decide whether or not you trust this approach.
Dbain28
Star
Star

just got done with connecting my arlo cameras with stringify, they are working great. they disarm and arm when i need to them. Just wish I could connect them to my alarm.com system. Stringify does not support alarm.com apps.