Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo base station will not sync cameras

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
szahra7
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having trouble getting the base station to sync cameras.  I've had my Arlo system for over a year, working flawlessly.  My batteries had died in all 4 cameras (too lazy to change).  The system was down for about 4 months.  This last weekend, I changed all of the batteries in the cameras.  Upon doing so, 3 out of the 4 cameras performed a firmware update and reconnected with no issues.  One of the cameras did not.  

I thought I may have had a camera go bad on me.  I went out and purchased a new Arlo Pro add-on camera.  This camera will not sync either.  I removed all devices from the account, reset the base station, reset the Xfinity Gateway box, re-added the base station and tried to start from scratch.  Now, none of the cameras will sync.  The base station allows me to add it to my acct.  It shows to be on and connected to the internet.  The sync button and light perform as the should.  However, no cameras will sync.  A friend has an extra base station that is new and unused.  I added that to my acct and attempted to sync cameras through that... no success.

During the time the cameras were offline, I did receive an new/upgraded modem from Xfinity.  I'm beginning to think there may be an internet or interferrence issue that is preventing me from syncing the cameras.  However, this doesn't explain why 3 cameras were able to reconnect after I replaced batteries.  Now those same cameras will not connect after I removed the whole system.

To recap... 

- Base station connects, all lights indicate proper connection

- None of the original Arlo wireless cameras will connect.  Purchased an Arlo Pro add-on, same issue.

- Two different base stations were tried, both with same results.

- Base station and Xfinity modem/router were reset, no success.

- And yes, all batteries are brand new.

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The first thing that strikes me is that the cameras updated firmware but you don't mention the base doing the same. What version is the base running? The cameras may not be syncing because they're running newer firmware than the base. Should be 1.8.1.1_10234.

Make sure you're only pressing the base sync button briefly - don't hold it.

You may need to reset and start fresh. Remove all devices in Settings, My Devices (assuming you're using the browser or the latest app). Also, to be safe, reset the base manually. Because you may have old firmware, it's a bit of a crap shoot as to which method (old vs. new) to use but you indicate that you've used the system within the past year so the new method should work. Press only the reset button until the LEDs flash amber. If that doesn't work, try the old method which is to press both the reset and the sync button at the same time to get the LEDs to flash. One of these should work. Once reset, verify that the power and Internet LEDs are green and add the base. Note that the base firmware may need to be updated before syncing the cameras. Use Settings, My Devices, your base and look for a red triangle. You may be able to update the firmware right away but, if not, wait overnight when it should update automatically. Once you have the latest firmware, try syncing the cameras.
szahra7
Aspirant
Aspirant

I double checked and the base station is running current firmware.  I've uninstalled all devices multiple times.  Re-installed the base station.  Unable to sync cameras.  I've changed the connection channel on the modem, no difference.  I just got off the phone with Netgear/Arlo support.  We spent nearly an hour doing all the stuff i've already tried.  The support rep seems very surprised that none of the five cameras will sync.  The base station shows connected on their end.  I was advised to try a different access point, ie neighbors internet.  If that works, then something in my modem settings is interfering with the syncing of the cameras.

Who knows.  I'll attempt to connect the base and cameras at my neighbors house and see if that works.

Thanks for the tips.