Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Gemstone008
Tutor
Tutor
My new 2 camera system has poor reception to my cameras. Having done my research I realise the base station is what connects to the cameras and not my WiFi. I have moved my base station half way between each camera (approx 40ft max to furthest camera) and I’m still only picking up one bar reception according to my phone app. Sometimes it will struggle to connect., but mostly ok. (For the record my internet is broadband and is excellent including WiFi).

Will the Pro base station and / or camera system offer more reception? I wondered if I could just upgrade my base station to the Pro.

I’m really surprised how poor reception the base station emits. Is this a general conscenus amongst the community and can they offer any further advice?
3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The bases's wifi signal was actually stronger on output than my home wifi...

( many phones have wifi signal apps to test strength )

The problem is that like any wifi system, how far the signal travels depends on what it must travel thru. Some homes are not signal friendly at times.

The only real way to expand coverage is with more than one base if you don't have proper signal for the cameras.

( there is not limit on the number of bases on any level account )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Gemstone008
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks for advice.

I have considered a 2nd base unit. If I used a 2nd base, would I only have to arm the cameras once (when required), or do I need to arm each camera individually (so twice total) via separate base units on the app?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

With a camera on different bases, you'd have to arm and schedule them separately. However, if you use nested rules (cam1 detects but both cam1 and 2 record and vice versa) that can still be done within a single rule per base.