Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo base station constantly drop camera. Camera indicator shows off and camera shows offline.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
yunwwang
Tutor
Tutor

I have the original Arlo package: arlo base station VMB3010r2 and 4 cameras. This works well for the last several years. But since earlier this month (or maybe since June), the base station constantly drops cameras. The base station's camera indicator light is off and the app shows all cameras are offline. Reboot the base station normally solved the problem. But since last week, I have to reboot it every morning. Also cameras try to reconnect to base station after offline which drains battery very fast. I noticed the Arlo app was updated in July 5th and new firmware installed (1.16.6.2_1106_ddc8a71). I am not sure if that is the reason. Is there way to rollback to previous version of firmware?

BTW, my router is Netgear Orbi RBR20.

11 REPLIES 11
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@yunwwang wrote:

I noticed the Arlo app was updated in July 5th and new firmware installed (1.16.6.2_1106_ddc8a71). I am not sure if that is the reason. Is there way to rollback to previous version of firmware?

It's not the app (it's not involved in connecting the cameras to the base).  There is no way to rollback the firmware.

@yunwwang wrote:

But since earlier this month (or maybe since June), the base station constantly drops cameras. The base station's camera indicator light is off and the app shows all cameras are offline. Reboot the base station normally solved the problem.

There's no way to rule out firmware, and of course it's possible that the base is failing.  One option would be to try and find a second base (a VMB4000 perhaps).

Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Sorry, but what makes you think the base would be failing? Failing in what way? By having an expiry date? It's complete nonsense.
Anyway, I can confirm that I've got the same problem with my Arlo HD in that the base station is periodically going off line.
Does that mean that mine is failing, too, or that it's hit its expiry date? It's complete nonsense.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Edinburgh_lad1 wrote:
Sorry, but what makes you think the base would be failing? 

I didn't say it was failing.  Just that there was no way to rule out a hardware failure in the base.  They do fail sometimes, and @yunwwang's base is old.  So it is a possibility to keep in mind.

@Edinburgh_lad1 wrote:
Anyway, I can confirm that I've got the same problem with my Arlo HD in that the base station is periodically going off line.

Is this the same model base?  Are you also seeing the camera indicator LED turn off when the problem occurs?  If so, what is the status of the internet LED?

yunwwang
Tutor
Tutor

I cannot rule out hardware failure. It just happened recently and there was a firmware released around that time. So my first impression would be the failure on the firmware.

I cannot say the base station is offline because what I observed is the base station has internet connection but not camera connects to it. Would it be possible that the base station was offline then back online? Sure.

What I observed recently is:

1) (almost) every morning, the base station has the power indicator and internet indicator on green while the camera indicator is off. The app shows all four cameras are offline

2) Restart the base by either using the physical power button or the restart button on the app. Cameras are connected after base station restart

3) The batteries in camera drained must faster than before. They last about 1 week.

4) Cannot remember if restart camera (pull out battery and then put back) works

5) The last captured image on different days ranges from noon to midnight. So I can conclude the problem is not time related.

Is there a way to check logs of base station?

It is not a problem to restart the base station everyday. I can use a smart switch to control that. It is big hassle to change battery every week!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@yunwwang wrote:

So my first impression would be the failure on the firmware.

That could be.  I haven't seen that with my own Pro-2 cameras, but they are all connected to a different base (VMB5000).

The symptoms are consistent with the base WiFi failing - since all camera connections drop at the same time, and all cameras are draining battery trying to reconnect to the base.  The rest of the base is still operational, since you can restart it from the app.  One thing you could try is looking for the Arlo WiFi network the next time this happens. 

You could try support (using the link in the upper right for the forum page), but my guess is that they'll suggest getting a new base.

@yunwwang wrote:

Would it be possible that the base station was offline then back online? Sure.

If that were all that is happening, then the cameras either would stay connected to the base (if only the internet connection dropped), or re-connect when the base came back to life.

yunwwang
Tutor
Tutor

Finally I add a smart power socket which powers off Arlo base station on 1 AM and powers on 1 minute later. It has been a week and the camera drop off happened only once on the first day. I will keep monitoring my Arlo system for longer period. For those who having the similar problem, try if this solves yours.

uxian
Aspirant
Aspirant
It's not just you. I've been having the same issue for the past month with the same model base station and firmware. Two of my cameras reconnect automatically if I restart the base station but 2 others have to have their batteries pulled to reconnect, sometimes more than once.
yunwwang
Tutor
Tutor

Try my solution: use a smart socket to reboot the base every midnight

after this, all my camera expect one works as normal as before.

but there is still one that occasionally lost connection. I tried to put it in different spot with different set of battery but the problem still exists. So I just retired it.

BigAl4321
Initiate
Initiate

Since the firmware update summer 2021, my base station is constantly dropping all of the connected cameras.  Feels like the firmware update is directly linked to all the issues.

Dholly
Guide
Guide

Ditto Almost:

Ive had this same problem for weeks with 4 original  Arlo cameras and one Arlo Pro won’t stay online with AC.

Base station drops offline every day, then cameras go…

Arlo Pro drops offline instantly AFTER unplugging.

Batteries (including new ones) drain 10 times faster! 

Daily Requirement that doesn’t happen B/C of time involved…

1. Reboot Base

Arlo Pro goes back live ONLY if plugged in, otherwise Offline as soon as unplugged.

2. With the Four Arlo cameras offline, I’ll “REMOVE THE BATTERIES” re insert, close up and they re sync.

Arlo Base station VBM3000 drops offline daily.

Firmware 1.16.6.3

Fridaynet
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same here. 

A couple of days ago I noticed all four cameras offline. Batteries gone, but same thing happened after i changed that. 

How long should we wait for a new firmware?

Thank you.