Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
ctrack
Luminary
Luminary

I need to install a system in a location with no internet access.  There is cellular access. I purchased a Netgear Unite Express (AT&T MIFI unit) and a wireless access point (Netgear WNCE2001).  The set up works and I'm able to see the Arlo via my cell phone app.  Since the MIFI has a data limit of 2 Gigabytes a month  before I accrue more expenses, I was wondering if anyone knows if the Arlo accesses the internet all the time or only when the cameras deduct motion or you view the cameras?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ctrack
Luminary
Luminary

Results so far for those that may be interested:

For the past week I have been been using the Arlo system connected to the Internet via Netgear Wifi Adapter and a mobile wifi (Unite Express by Netgear). The MIFI, has a pay as you go data plan.

As you predicted the Arlos do not access the Internet unless you activate the cameras or the cameras detect  motion. Recording three 10 second videos and access the cameras (4) approximately 5 times a day used a negligible amount of data (approx..100 megabytes or less). The cameras are set for highest quality.  

I made one addition to the setup.  I connected the MIFI Unit to a timer to charge the unit every 12 hours. The MIFI unit should probably not be left on a continuous charging mode so a timer was introduced. The timer is set so that it charges the MIFI for one hour every 12 hours.  Since the MIFI unit is accessed very little it didn't necessitate more frequent charging.  

This system works and can be an alternative where no WIFI is available. Using the cellular network to create a hotspot is an alternative since the Arlos use very little data of a pay as you go plan.

Equipment added to Arlo:

1. Netgear WCNE 2001 (Wifi adapter)

2. AT&T Netgear Mobile Wifi Unite Express (Go Phone pay as you go data plan)

3. Electrical Timer

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy
I believe your latter assumptions are correct. There is no (significant) interaction with the cloud when cameras are idle. Whether that is in Disarmed state or Armed state waiting for a motion event.

I say “significant“ above, as I'm sure there is some communication going on outside of the video uploading events, at the least making your base station call the cloud saying “I'm still here“. But I'm sure it's a negligible trickle compared to the number of bytes pushed through your Internet connection for video footage to be saved or Live View uploads.

The added advantage of cloud storage in your scenario is that viewing saved footage does not count towards your monthly data allowance at your arlo-surveilled location whenever you view it, as footage once saved is served from Netgear's cloud directly to your client.
ctrack
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks, I thought the usuage would be minimal since the communication would be between the cameras and the base station unless there is motion and the recording needs to go to the Netgear servers.  Access the cameras via the APP should take minimal 

I intend to set up the arrangement and see if it's a solution to my problem.  I'll report back with the results in case someone else is interested.

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

ctrack wrote:

I'll report back with the results in case someone else is interested.

Please do. Always interesting to hear of a solution using wireless access points and whether the data uploaded can stay below the monthly data allowance.

Btw, assuming an average 4 MB of data per minute of video footage in medium quality ("optimized"), 2 GB of data per month is good for a total of 500 minutes of video recordings. That's a total of 8 hrs and 20 minutes per month, or almost 17 minutes per day.

ctrack
Luminary
Luminary

Results so far for those that may be interested:

For the past week I have been been using the Arlo system connected to the Internet via Netgear Wifi Adapter and a mobile wifi (Unite Express by Netgear). The MIFI, has a pay as you go data plan.

As you predicted the Arlos do not access the Internet unless you activate the cameras or the cameras detect  motion. Recording three 10 second videos and access the cameras (4) approximately 5 times a day used a negligible amount of data (approx..100 megabytes or less). The cameras are set for highest quality.  

I made one addition to the setup.  I connected the MIFI Unit to a timer to charge the unit every 12 hours. The MIFI unit should probably not be left on a continuous charging mode so a timer was introduced. The timer is set so that it charges the MIFI for one hour every 12 hours.  Since the MIFI unit is accessed very little it didn't necessitate more frequent charging.  

This system works and can be an alternative where no WIFI is available. Using the cellular network to create a hotspot is an alternative since the Arlos use very little data of a pay as you go plan.

Equipment added to Arlo:

1. Netgear WCNE 2001 (Wifi adapter)

2. AT&T Netgear Mobile Wifi Unite Express (Go Phone pay as you go data plan)

3. Electrical Timer

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

thanks for the info ..interesting

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
ctrack
Luminary
Luminary

Last comment, I had one loss of signal that necessitated a manual reboot of MIFI.  I had the unit too far from the Access Point.  Moved it closer and signal was strengthened and no further problems.

michaelwagoner
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm trying to use my AT&T Mifi which can be teathered via mini-USB.  I am attempting to connect the Mifi through a USB Hub along with a USB to Ethernet Adaptor and connect to the NetGear Basestation Ethernet Port.  I do not get anm ethernet link.  If I connect my laptop to the same setup, I am able to obtain an IP and access the Internet.  Is there a specific adaptor I should try to use.

ctrack
Luminary
Luminary

I'm not sure how your setup is configured.  Are you connecting your mifi to the Netgear Basestation with a hub in between?  I did not use "an in between".  I allowed the mifi to transmit the wifi signal and used a Netgear wifi adapter attached to the Arlo base station.  System works great where you have a strong cellular signal.  I am currently looking for an antenna to boost the signal received by the mifi.

michaelwagoner
Aspirant
Aspirant

I see what you are doing, but was hoping to connect the Basestation directly to the Mifi via the teather option.  I just bought a **bleep** ton of cable and adaptors to see if I can make it work.  If not, I will implement the wireless bridge approach you are using.

Thanks!!!

ccmac1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I have the VMS3430 Arlo system.  I purchase the MiFi6620L from Amazon and will have to pay an additional $10 a month to use with Verizon.  Verizon and Arlo just told me I could not use with the Arlo system.  Then I googled and saw your setup.  Please help as I am not a techy :-).  I want to use in a rural area where internet options are slim but already use a hotspot when there.  Would I be better off to get a pay as you go system?  If so and where would I purchase this?  Also, I was looking for the Netgear WNCE2001 that you purchased and wondered if there was a newer product that would be less expensive?  Can you be very specific on the hookup please.

Thanks so much, c