Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Wireless camera night vision dark

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
ash32152
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi all,

More of a question with some advice if possible please, I have one of the cameras mounted on the side of my garage, the night vision seems to be quite poor, not sure if this is how I've got it setup or if this is the expected.. although a friends seems to be a lot better and no additional lighting etc.. I've attached a couple of photos, one from 11PM at night (UK Time) and the other from 6AM when it is still dark but a little more light in the sky (still night vision on).. on the first photo you can only make out my back door by the light.

I have tried opening the battery hatch, tried a second camera and also turned brightness to the highest.

Your advice is much appreciated.

Cheers,IMG_0104.PNGIMG_0107.PNG

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Can't see the images yet since they have to be approved by a moderator.  What's the distance you're trying to monitor?  The battery-operated nature limits the effective range of the IR illuminators.

ash32152
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for getting back to me.

I would say it's no longer than 10 feet, the night vision is working as I can see the wall in front about 5 feet, although it's just dark sorruning that, I'm not sure if it affect but the door is off centre to the right. It's hard to explain but imagine the centre is lit and each big portion of corners are almost completely dark.

Cheers,

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Can you verify that the IR illuminators are actually turning on?  If not, verify and/or toggle the Night Vision setting in Settings, My Devices, your camera and try again.  Take it into a dark room if needed rather than waiting for night.  If you have another camera, swap them to see if the other camera does the same thing.

ash32152
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes the red LED's light up when either motion is detected or during live view. I've tried toggling the setting on and off just to be sure. I've taken it out but the two camera get around the same result, the odd thing is the lounge camera at night with no lights on at all can pickup the whole room, which I would say is no bigger than the range I'm trying to cover with the Garage camera..

Cheers,

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

About all you can do is to add lighting, either using an IR floodlight (Amazon has lots - be sure to use 850nm) or normal lighting, perhaps also motion activated.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

ash32152 wrote:

Yes the red LED's light up when either motion is detected or during live view. I've tried toggling the setting on and off just to be sure. I've taken it out but the two camera get around the same result, the odd thing is the lounge camera at night with no lights on at all can pickup the whole room, which I would say is no bigger than the range I'm trying to cover with the Garage camera..

Cheers,

If you test the cam in a room ,the IR lighting will APPEAR brighter as it reflects of the walls of the room...

If you really think the outside camera is defective, you can easily swap the in/out cams and see if the outside looks better.

Can tell you outdoors in an unlite area the max seems to be about 10-15 ft usable ( tho will go to 25ft ) but also drops lighting off on the side quickly;

Here's an outside picture to compare; ( center small 3 ft stump is at about 8-9 meters )

1412896279066.jpg

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
ash32152
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks guys, I will have a look at the IR lights mentioned.

Also thanks for the comparison, it isn't too disimilar to that to be honest, I just expeceted it to light up a bit more area at the sides.

Cheers,