Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
mgbnet
Apprentice
Apprentice

Looks like JamesC posted on the big thread about the firmware issues, saying there was a new update and then locked the thread from further replies.

I have two questions:

1 - Why don't I see this update? I still only see 1.12.2.1_2798 from April as the available update for my base station. See attached image.

2 - The relase notes for the new firmware (1.3.319 - weird numbering, looks like a step backwards number-wise) say that it fixes the pixelation issue, but nothing that says it fixes the failure to update firmware issue that many of us are seeing with the 1.12.2.1_2798 firmware update.

222 REPLIES 222
MontanaDice
Tutor
Tutor

Luminary,

Find "@JamesC"  in  any of the above messages.  It should be highlighted in green and click on it.  It will open another window and it will have a PM button to use.  Hope that helps.

russian_ooo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have updated Arlo HD camera today to 1.3.319 and immediately noticed that the video got AWFUL! Jerky and unclear. Befor everything was great. Can I get the old firmware or my money back?

Cbrat
Tutor
Tutor
Cheep pece of junk
mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

So, it's been 2 months and countless evidence has been provided by people to Arlo showing the poor picture quality. First off, why does Arlo not test before release? This issue is so blatant, it's literally impossible to miss.

Or, the cynic would say, Arlo is intentionally crippling older devices as a Planned Obsolescence tactic to force users to upgrade, or to save server space. Why else would this not be fixed?

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

@mamarcac , you statement is correct. All these crazy chaos forces users to upgrade their systems.

It is time to run away from Arlo, also if you can, return the product and get your money back ASAP.

This is my experience with Arlo.

I have three basic wireless system (VMB3000, VMB3500 and VMB4000), all of which will fully operational before May 22, 2019. After the base firmware is upgrade, all three basic system went pixelation until they upgraded the camera firmware to 1.3.319 (June 5, 2019), the only VMB4000 resumed operation intermittently. Even with lastest firmware 1.12.2.4_2772.

If your want the VMB4000 to restore 100% functionality, and you still under warranty, you will need to contact the level 3 engineering team (the highest level) to assist you.

You might ask what happens to VMB3000 and VMB3500, they are completely useless, becuase the new firmware makes them useless. There is nothing you can do to the base or your wireless router, except throw it away.

My last suggestion to you all, return the defective unit if you can, and also review the Defender 2K, wireless that works.

Good luck everyone.

MontanaDice
Tutor
Tutor

Has anyone tried the newer base station VMB5000 with the older cameras to see if that makes a difference in the pixelation?

MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

@MontanaDice wrote:

Has anyone tried the newer base station VMB5000 with the older cameras to see if that makes a difference in the pixelation?

If so, is this just another Arlo effort to get us to spend more money?

Fun-Girl
Apprentice
Apprentice
I was actually planning to upgrade to the Ultra gradually, but now I'm postponing that.
MontanaDice
Tutor
Tutor

At this point I don't have the luxury of dumping the whole system and starting over ($650 out the window is not an option for me).  I either have to live with pixelation and keep complaining or see if there is something else I can do... maybe both!  I am not happy with Arlo and don't like the idea of buying more of there products, but this is a purely $$$ decision.  Is there anyone using the VMB500 basestation with the Arlo, Arlo Pro, or Arlo Pro 2 cameras?

MontanaDice
Tutor
Tutor

whoops "their" not "there"

parsrgood
Apprentice
Apprentice

@MontanaDice  Funny the way you caught your grammar error. I'm the same way and honestly believe no one else picks up on it. Anyway.... I have the VMB3000 Base with 5 VMC3030 Wire Free Cameras. My cameras and base station have failed more than three times, I stopped counting. Each one of the times the system was down due to Arlo engineers putting out untested updates both firmware and apps that result in product degradation.  The three that come to mind were in march of 2018, October of 2018 and the killer camera slayer on 5/22/2019. In my opinion you should probably hang in there for now and see if Arlo wakes up. Hate for you to throw more money at a broken system. It's your choice, but the odds are not in your favor at this point. 

MontanaDice
Tutor
Tutor

I hate sitting and waiting for such an extended amount of time.  My cameras are at a location that is three states away.  It is the main layer of security and with all the pixelation if something happens and I cannot see who/what is causing an issue that is my problem.  

Fun-Girl
Apprentice
Apprentice
Same here. I'm 1500 miles away.
Fun-Girl
Apprentice
Apprentice
No PM button. It says "contact me" but it's not highlighted so clicking on it does nothing.
MontanaDice
Tutor
Tutor

Which web brower are you using?  I would suggest Chrome.

zzmaxhu1
Aspirant
Aspirant
My arlo just get offline after I change the batteries. I checked the batteries, they are full. I bought arlo with full charge. And it happen once. When the arlo went offline, I take the batteries out and put it back then back to normal about two days and went back to offline again. Please let me know that is the hardware or software problem?
MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

@sfdfg wrote:

Here we go again... yesterday my hub dropped offline and remained so until I got home from work and did a hard restart. It came back up but only two of my four cameras came back on line. One had been off anyway as the batteries had gone (legitimately) but the other was a surprise. I'd assumed it was the usual story of the camera wiping out its battery by churning away and trying to reconnect to the absent hub yesterday so I changed the battery in it this morning and headed off to work.

Checking it again from the office, it's still not connecting. I've tried multiple times to restart the hub and no use - it just won't pick up the camera with the new batteries in.

It's getting past a joke. How flaky have these things got in the last couple of months? And still no sign of any resolution or even a proper acknowledgement of the problem from Arlo. Not good enough.

I'd previously recommended Arlo cameras to a colleague and he told me last week he was about to buy them on Prime Day as they were half price. I told him it now wasn't worth the money so he's looking elsewhere.

We are beginning to suspect that the firmware debacle is wreaking havoc with more than just the video flow and resolution owing to the change in the motion detection specifically in our Arlo Pro cameras.

More and more often our Pro cameras are not capturing motion that they have in the past. 

We have a problem with crazy dirt bikers and ATV nuts racing up and down our residential street and the Pro camera in front has been faithfully capturing this which we are saving and giving to the police. Lately, however, since Arlo has been messing with the firmware, we are not recording any of it, but still records cars, bicycles, and folks jogging by.

This is getting out of hand.

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

@JamesC @ShayneS @JessicaP WHEN. WILL. YOU. GIVE. US. A. FREAKING. UPDATE. ON. THIS. GETTING. FIXED.

Rueg
Apprentice
Apprentice

Who marked this as solved?  This has not been solved.

parsrgood
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ShayneS  @JamesC  As mentioned in the previous post, a lot of people that have purchased your products that are now sub par due to Arlo's failed updates would like to know how you deem a issue resolved on post 60 out of 171. Obviously when you recieve 111 post beyond when you marked the issue resolved, you still have a problem. If you won't respond to the consumers who want answers regarding their crippled cameras, can you tell us who at Arlo we can contact to escalate this issue? If we do not hear from you. I will go beyond my complaint I filed with the BBB. The Federal Trade Commission and Consumer Reports are next on my list. This is wrong and you at Arlo know it. You might think this is resolved and it will just go away, but that would be nothing more than wishful thinking on your part. I, for one will not let this go until you fix what you broke or get fully refunded for five cameras and a base station. A response would be appreciated.

Thanks

MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

@Rueg wrote:

Who marked this as solved?  This has not been solved.

Not only is it NOT SOLVED but we are becoming increasingly convinced that the several firmware updates has partially crippled the motion capture reliability of our Pro cameras.

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

The moderators mark it as Solved because it goes into their job performance metrics, I'm guessing.  I'll probably get another private message from them about this comment not respecting forum rules, lol.

No one who sees videos (of which Arlo has been supplied many) would agree the issue is resolved.

MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

@mamarcac wrote:

The moderators mark it as Solved because it goes into their job performance metrics, I'm guessing.  I'll probably get another private message from them about this comment not respecting forum rules, lol.

No one who sees videos (of which Arlo has been supplied many) would agree the issue is resolved.

Since this firmware debacle began there has been two updates to the Android app and now with the latest one comes a new problem that has me wondering if the same guys that are working on the camera firmware also have a hand in the Android app because with each update it is getting worse. 

The latest outrage is that when I go to sign in it of course tells me that the password is wrong even though it is not. Then trying to login again I get this new "Token Has Expired"  which CANNOT be cleared without rebooting the phone. Even turning the app off and on doesn't clear it. 

BTW,  today I had to take down a camera that went dead suddenly and discovered-----as usual----that two of the batteries were fine and thus I only had to replace two of them to get the camera back to 100%. When replacing the camera and trying to position it----the positioning setting has never worked for us----this latest update to the Android app has made connecting even more difficult and erratic. Not only that, a new trick now is that when it finally does connect I am treated to a stop motion series of images that have accumulated for the past minute until finally the camera show live. 

It was like I was a Claymation figure or something. 

What else can they do to us? 

parsrgood
Apprentice
Apprentice

@MikeBravo  Wrote: what else can they do to us?  

Sadly, if they stick to their current path of destruction, all arlo cameras will cease to function properly. They’ll wash their hands of this mess, start anew and put out a new product that Is subpar and years behind in technology. We are the victims of bad business, bad customer relations and low tech engineers parading as professionals.

parsrgood
Apprentice
Apprentice

At this point I can't keep up with all of the failed updates and faults. Now, all live views are choppy and there's about a 30 second lag and a freeze.  When you open app it shows a old view from days ago even though you've observerved recent views . Last chance Arlo. Fix it or give me my money back.