Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
mgbnet
Apprentice
Apprentice

Looks like JamesC posted on the big thread about the firmware issues, saying there was a new update and then locked the thread from further replies.

I have two questions:

1 - Why don't I see this update? I still only see 1.12.2.1_2798 from April as the available update for my base station. See attached image.

2 - The relase notes for the new firmware (1.3.319 - weird numbering, looks like a step backwards number-wise) say that it fixes the pixelation issue, but nothing that says it fixes the failure to update firmware issue that many of us are seeing with the 1.12.2.1_2798 firmware update.

222 REPLIES 222
mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

@dsiu2902 You're literally doing their jobs and they still ask for our system information. Thank you for continuing to post and make this a priority. I'm sick of half-baked band aids from Arlo and even tweeted the CEO.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@MikeBravo @sfdfg @dsiu2902

Thank you for your time & the detailed information. All and any information helps when investigating these reports. 

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ShayneS Can you kindly inform the people here who pay for your salary, what kind of testing does Arlo do before releasing these firmwares? We are not your guinea pigs or testers. We are your _customers_ and you are here to help us. Somewhere along the way you seem to have forgotten that it seems.

Fun-Girl
Apprentice
Apprentice

How do I get this update on my original Netgear-Arlo. Do I need to bring it in and plug it up? 
It does not detect or record, only live view. I'm running it now on an IFTTT ties to my Arlo Pro.

Minn12
Guide
Guide

@ShayneS wrote:

Thank you for your time & the detailed information. All and any information helps when investigating these reports. 

@ShayneS  Please see my posts #7 and #8 in this thread. I have tested my standard Arlo cameras again today and I am convinced there has a been change in the Power Management settings after this fix. I strongy encourage you to verify this. On my cameras, selecting 'Best Battery Life' gives far better resolution than the 'Best Video' setting. This is the opposite of what it should be. I had asked other users to test this, but no one else has posted back so far. 

Does Arlo have test facilities with the various cameras set up?  Or better yet, have employees at their homes with these cameras who can test these bugs? Again, please check into this. I think you will be surprised at what you find.  Thanks 

Minn12
Guide
Guide

See my post #7 on this thread. No one else has checked this yet, but I believe there has been a big change, either in the measurement percentage, or in the power draw of the cameras. No reply yet from any of the Arlo staff on this problem. 

@sfdfg wrote:
A further piece of information... my H16 camera (that had been behaving on the new firmware) has dropped from 15% battery at 1pm to 0% at 7:42pm, so while it looks better I suspect it isn't completely right as my cameras usually take at least a few days to empty from 15%.

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

With our intelligence, we are very close to our satisfactory solution. 

We provide them with enough information and data, and they should know what to do now.

This is a small bugs in their software program that they can easily fix.

Let focus one important issue that Arlo keep refusing to implement is:

1) Adding an option for us to choose firmware updates.

We need this option, because all of us are having a horrible experience with your unexpected firmware updates. The only thing Arlo's unexpected updates continue to do is lowering our resolution to unacceptable standards and shutting down our system for a least a few weeks without security or messy up our system. 

Please support the following idea by giving a "Like",  so that they can no longer do this again in the future:

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/Add-options-to-select-firmware-updates-the-current-...

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

We provide them with enough information and data from the other thread,
and they should know what to do now.

There is a small bugs in their software program that they can easily fix.

We need this option, because all of us are having a horrible experience with your unexpected firmware updates. The only thing Arlo's unexpected updates continue to do is lowering our resolution to unacceptable standards and shutting down our system for a least a few weeks without security or messy up our system. 

Please support the following idea by giving a "Like",  so that they can no longer do this again in the future:

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/Add-options-to-select-firmware-updates-the-current-...

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've Liked your solution, but it goes against Arlo's business practice. Have you seen some of the Ultra 4k video samples? They look horrendous because Arlo compresses everything so severely.

They should be sued for fraud.

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

I understand Arlo's business practice. But they actually violate the law without knowing it.

It's like breaking someone's house, but without taking anything, so they can't called "Burglar".

but they violated the law of breaking and entering / tresspassing.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Our team released Firmware v1.3.319 on 6/4/19 to fix the issue in which some customers with Arlo wire-free camera model VMC3030 experienced degraded/pixelated quality of video clips in their libraries.

Our team is actively working to resolve the issue in which videos are being recorded in low resolution when “Best Video” setting is selected. We will provide an update by 3PT PT 6/11/19 to advise of the status of a resolution for this issue.

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

Thank you,

Arlo Team

Note: We will provide updated information here as it becomes available. Marking solved to float the latest information to the top of the thread.

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ShayneS Thank you for the update. Can you please please please please request any releases be tested first? This is exhuasting and unnecessary for your customers.

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

@ShayneS and JamesC, Please tell us how the previous firmware was tested?

1) What are the step of the procedure?

2) How many units are tested?

3) How many times have they tested?

4) Where?

5) What type of the units?

We have the right to know, we are the consumer.

We don' t want another unexpected firmware to hit us again in the future? Unless you or Arlo can provide this information.  

MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

@Minn12 wrote:

@ShayneS wrote:

@ShayneS  Please see my posts #7 and #8 in this thread. I have tested my standard Arlo cameras again today and I am convinced there has a been change in the Power Management settings after this fix. I strongy encourage you to verify this. On my cameras, selecting 'Best Battery Life' gives far better resolution than the 'Best Video' setting. This is the opposite of what it should be. I had asked other users to test this, but no one else has posted back so far. 

Does Arlo have test facilities with the various cameras set up?  Or better yet, have employees at their homes with these cameras who can test these bugs? Again, please check into this. I think you will be surprised at what you find.  Thanks 

I just tried your suggestion on one of our basic arlos and discovered a slight increase in clarity. So I suspect there is something to this.

On the other hand, it still doesn't give nearly the resolution that it used to.

MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

@dsiu2902 wrote:

We provide them with enough information and data, and they should know what to do now.

This is a small bugs in their software program that they can easily fix.

I agree that this is a very beneficial addition, but I believe that being able to roll back firmware updates is even more important as it allows us to see improvements such as better battery life right away and yet be able to undo things if like this incident it only makes it worse.

MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

@ShayneS wrote:

Our team released Firmware v1.3.319 on 6/4/19 to fix the issue in which some customers with Arlo wire-free camera model VMC3030 experienced degraded/pixelated quality of video clips in their libraries.

Our team is actively working to resolve the issue in which videos are being recorded in low resolution when “Best Video” setting is selected. We will provide an update by 3PT PT 6/11/19 to advise of the status of a resolution for this issue.

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

Thank you,

Arlo Team

Note: We will provide updated information here as it becomes available. Marking solved to float the latest information to the top of the thread.

Shayne,

Does this mean your team is going to ignore the fact that not SOME but EVERYONE participating in this forum is still not experiencing fully restored LIVE video resolution on their basic Arlos?

DRstjames
Tutor
Tutor

The 1.3.319 update did not fully fix the issue. When will it be resolved completely?

sfdfg
Star
Star

I don't think I'm seeing a reversal of picture quality on my cameras. Taking a 10 second video at Best Video gives a 1056x592 video at 727kbps and 24fps. It's 982KB in size.

Taking a 10 second clip on the same camera set to Best Battery yields a 528x288 at 422kbps and 24fps. The file is 622KB in size.

So basically, what you'd expect to see.

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

I just want to say "thank you" to all the people who supported my idea for a firmware upgrade option. It seems to me that there is only a few people who really wants this option. For the rest of the people, they don't want to do anything else except to comment "me too" and "same here" whenever a firmware upgrade that attacks their system.

I understand that everyone has other things to do with no free time left to talk about nonsense. I also have a lot of things to do beside this too.

Therefore, I will no longer pursue anymore for pushing this "firmware upgrade option". Since there is not enough people supporting this idea, Arlo will just continue to ignore our concerns and continue making their profits from us. After all, they can just give another firmware upgrade attack in a few months again and we will end up here with the same problem again...

If we are really lucky this time, we may even get a new firmware upgrade to strike us in just a few weeks.

I wish everyone the best. Good luck with your Arlo... 

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

I just want to say "thank you" to all the people who supported my idea for a firmware upgrade option. It seems to me that there is only a few people who really wants this option. For the rest of the people, they don't want to do anything else except to comment "me too" and "same here" whenever a firmware upgrade that attacks their system.

I understand that everyone has other things to do with no free time left to talk about nonsense. I also have a lot of things to do beside this too.

Therefore, I will no longer pursue anymore for pushing this "firmware upgrade option". Since there is not enough people supporting this idea, Arlo will just continue to ignore our concerns and continue making their profits from us. After all, they can just give another firmware upgrade attack in a few months again and we will end up here with the same problem again...

If we are really lucky this time, we may even get a new firmware upgrade to strike us in just a few weeks.

I wish everyone the best. Good luck with your Arlo... 

Pcm_smeets
Guide
Guide

I'm tired of it. I have bought my camera's 3 weeks ago now. And since then I didn't have normal image. All blurry and pixels all over. The newest update didn't do anything about the quality. 
So today I decided to send everything back to the webshop where I bought it (I already phoned them last week). So I will get my money back. I will buy other security camera's, because I don't trust ARLO anymore. 

On the package they prommissed HD quality. etc etc etc  But I didn't get it. So that's why I decided this. 
I hope Arlo will solve your problems. I'm very happy that I could send back my camera's and get my money back. Good luck for you all. 

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

@dsiu2902 I liked your idea but share your frustrations. Just this morning I woke up to a forced firmware upgrade...

The lack of engagement by Arlo is upsetting to us because we paid $$$ for their products. I think most people just wait and hope for the next firmware upgrade to be honest, maybe read the forums to monitor information.

Good job pushing for what you have so far. I think the reality is, we will need to look elsewhere for a better supported product. Blink is making some real headway in the wireless camera industry now, for one (and has the backing of Amazon).

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

Hi everyone,

They just upgraded your base station firmware to 1.12.2.2_2754 again last night with camera remained as 1.3.319 without any warning. I noticed that the video recording still has a blurred image /unstable within motion object and the surrounding seems to be fine.

I will do factory reset now to see what is going on with this latest firmware again.

We are their laboratoy mice.

madkiwi
Luminary
Luminary

@dsiu2902 wrote:

Hi everyone,

They just upgraded your base station firmware to 1.12.2.2_2754 again last night with camera remained as 1.3.319 without any warning. I noticed that the video recording still has a blurred image /unstable within motion object and the surrounding seems to be fine.

I will do factory reset now to see what is going on with this latest firmware again.

We are their laboratoy mice.

I just checked both my base stations and they are still on

1.12.2.1_2798.

Are you sure something changed? Maybe you're right and it is rolling out over a few days.

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

@mamarcac, what firmware do you have? is it 1.12.2.2_2754 or still 1.12.2.1_2798?

@ShayneS, JamesC, what is going on with this firmware 1.12.2.2_2754? Can you explain why some people is not affected yet?