Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Wire Free BAtteries drained after 12 hours

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
cpkendra
Follower
Follower

Did the initial set up of my Arloe Wire Free 3 camera system. Syncing cameras was an issue, almost packed it up and sent it back at that point, We then did firmware updates for the base station and 2 cameras that we set up. Di dnot have the energy or patience to do the thrord. Plus we needed to order the outdoor mounts since the universal magnetic mounts are junk at best. Got up this morning and find battery levels on both cameras at 21-23% in less than 24 hours. This is unacceptable, anyone experience similar issues?

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's usually a result of new owners spending excessive time live viewing, setting up and recording. Spec battery life is for <5 minutes total usage per day.

There's also WiFi signal strength and quality to be considered. Distance from the base, blockage due to walls, ductwork, mirrors, house construction, etc. all get in there. Additionally, there's the possibility of 2.4GHz interference from other wireless (not just WiFi) devices near the base or cameras.

You may want to consider the Arlo-certified Tenergy rechargeable batteries if this will be an ongoing issue.

kjrst9
Guide
Guide

my first use/initial setup drained it down to 80% which even that I found unacceptable.  After that, the drain has been much less, but still nowhere the "several months" that others report.  I get closer to 1 month, max.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

All my comments above apply for any difference from the spec. I've had cameras (with almost no usage) last 8-9 months and others with rechargeable batteries (which only have about 1/2 the storage capacity compared to the non-rechargeables) typically last 2-3 months.

If it's one camera that has an issue, swap them around to see if it's the camera or the location. Verify that your usage remains less than 5 minutes a day, on average. Check the distance and potential blocks of the signal in a straight line between the base and cameras. Sometimes a move of either the camera or the base by just a small amount can make a big difference.

kjrst9
Guide
Guide

less than 5 minutes a day might be realistic on a country road, but not in a city!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Positioning your cameras appropriately for your situation can help a lot. Don't include the street or sidewalk next to the curb. Get your front door, etc. to minimize recordings. Reducing sensitivity may help.

The spec is well-documented and has remained the same for years. There's nothing new here.

OkieLand
Aspirant
Aspirant

just setting my cameras up for the 1st time.

the one outside only has 1 bar of WiFi to the base station....

thought that would be enough, but it is not.

( so, I guess I have to get 200 feet of CAT5 and move the base station outside? )

the battery is down to 18% in only 4 hours of me learning to use the damn thing.

I am very upset with this, it needs an external plug so that a big battery pack like for my motorcycle can keep it powered up...

I need it to work 4 weeks straight unattended while I am on vacation.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I would use a WiFi extender and a second base for that camera. Any WiFi signal will likely have an issue at that distance other than in a perfect world.
OkieLand
Aspirant
Aspirant
 would use a WiFi extender and a second base for that camera. Any WiFi signal will likely have an issue at that distance other than in a perfect world. 

I will have to think on that, that would cost more than I paid for the whole kit...

caught it on sale at $150 from Amazon... wish that I had got the version with the plug in rechargeable batteries though. Lithiums are way too expensive.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

An extender can be had for cheap - I see them as cheap as $20 on AMazon. A second base could be purchased used (be sure it's been removed from the seller's account) or new for ~$65.

There is a certified rechargeable battery set from Tenergy for the original wireless cameras. Don't buy the cheapie Chinese ones that claim huge capacity - they've been know to cause meltdowns and fires.