Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo (VMS3230) won't stay connected to Base Station, & Drains brand new batteries in one day.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
stellar
Aspirant
Aspirant
I was recently gifted an Refurbished Arlo (VMS3230) two camera w/ base station kit. Set up was no problem. However upon setting up the first camera it failed to update firmware the first time though so I had to reset it and it updates and paired no problem. After 10 minutes of being paired however it dropped offline and wouldn't reconnect. I tried un-pairing it and repairing but same result. The second camera paired and is working just fine. I attempted to fix the camera connection issue for several days by swapping out the batteries and un-pairing and repairing the camera. went as far as to remove the base station and re-set it. All firmware says its up to date. when my second arlo camera's died yesterday I replaced the batteries with new ones and once again tried to re-pair my first camera. I got it paired and it was working for first 3 minutes then dropped to offline. left it alone for 3 hours and came back and was getting the blinking amber light (dead battery) swapped batteries with other second camera. second camera came online with near dead batteries logo and the first one came online with 83% battery logo before dropping offline again. I left it alone for an another 3 hours and when I came back those batteries were dead as well. I thought it might just be getting to far away but even sitting right next to the base station I get the same result. What is causing the massive power drainage and how can I fix it along with the connectivity issue?
3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Make sure there's no 2.4GHz wireless device near either the cameras or base. Bring the cameras closer to the base (same room) to see if it still happens. Consider rechargeable Tenergy batteries (the officially certified ones) to lower battery costs long-term.

stellar
Aspirant
Aspirant
Jguerdat thank you for your suggestions. So sorry should probably have mentioned I did go and install rechargeable batteries after the first set died. I did test thinking it might be bad batteries but I get the same result from brand new non rechargeable batteries and the one camera that hasn’t experienced this problem doesn’t seem to have the same issue as the first camera on these batteries. I took your advise and moved the base station to a different location to get away from any 2.4GHz signal and it didn’t seem to change anything The first camera still went offline almost immediately after pairing. I can put them both right next to the station or to he far reaches of my yard and get the same result camera 1 is offline and camera 2 gets perfect signal. If there are any other suggestions please let me know. Thank you again for your assistance and suggestions.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You've tried the logical steps so I'm guessing it's a bad camera. Swap at the store or open a case with support:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx