Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Stevewins
Apprentice
Apprentice

What’s going on with the SD card corruption issue?  I keep repairing the cards on my computer and the VMB5000 keeps re-corrupting them rendering my local storage option non-functional. 

112 REPLIES 112
Marcdevinci80
Initiate
Initiate

I have exactly the same issue for weeks now, still no fix available?!?

Vesra
Aspirant
Aspirant

My base station (stated above) keeps rejecting my USB drive. Unplug and reinsert and it recognizes it again for a few days. After several days it is no longer recognized again and I am not recording locally again. Any solutions for this issue or should I open a support ticket about this issue? Drive is not full, has been reformatted in PC and then in the base station so it only has what little files are recorded before recognition is lost. 

Bartley
Luminary
Luminary

I can use local storage again. May 31st Firmware 1.21.0.2_4294_8a519c8 update seems to have fixed the issue. Once I noticed the update was pushed out, I plugged in the old drive (already formatted) and it did not detect the USB drive. I rebooted the hub (Power button off on) When it came on-line the USB drive was detected and is being used for local storage. It has been working all night and currently shows under Available Storage 4.21 used of 1862 GB. It looks like quite a few base stations have a firmware update. Hopefully it helps everybody that had the local storage issues.

Thanks

Gary

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

New base/hub firmware has been released. ANy help?

Vesra
Aspirant
Aspirant

When was the firmware released? Just added a couple essential cams a couple days ago and there was no update available for the hub at that time. Prior to a couple days ago, then no help. Worked yesterday, this morning not working. Been about a week strait working. Changing USB ports made zero difference. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There was one 5/24 as well as another 5/31. You can always check yourself here:

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/bd-p/arlo-release-notes

Vdubguy2k
Star
Star

Did you just have to look in your hubs settings ---> Device Info ---> Firmware  to find that update?

I tried that and have no updates available.  I restarted my hub and still no firmware update, though now it can write to local storage again magically! (Though that will last a day max before not working again).

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Check your firmware version compared to what's seen here:

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/bd-p/arlo-release-notes

Vdubguy2k
Star
Star

Thank you for that link!  I guess my hub must have updated last night because I'm showing the latest version for mine.  Fingers crossed that will resolve this now.  

Vesra
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'll give it a try at lunch when I head home. The 5-24 update was installed at that point. So that one didn't fix anything as far as this goes. Hopefully this one will.

Batmanjr
Initiate
Initiate

I have an Arlo Hub VMB4540, been working just fine for 2 years. After updating the app on the phone and making sure all firmware is upgraded, I can no longer see any videos in my library on the phone app. I just get the error that the videos aren’t available. 
I have reset everything, reformatted the usb drive, bought a new usb drive, deleted and reinstalled the app on the phone, I’ve turned the device to feed and then back to save locally.  I’m just not sure what else to try. 
And Arlo support has not been very helpful, I think it’s crazy you can’t even email them an issue unless you pay per month. 

Baoviet
Star
Star

Still have the same issue even hub did update to latest version 1.21.0.2.1423.8a519c8.   New load does not fixing the bug of sd card corrupted.  It was stopped when the folder reaches file 512+ and gotta delete some recorded files to make it work again.

yhap2003
Star
Star

I’m happy I found this thread. It was driving me crazy. I swapped 5 new SD cards and the same problem.

I checked today, my hub updated but also the recording bugged out yesterday. I did my usual reboot and reformat today. Let’s hope that firmware fixed the problem. I’ll report back on a few days ask it happens every 3-5 days.

This is probably their way to indirectly push people to go to their subscription.

If Arlo isn’t going to put priority to fix the problem, I’m just going to return mine to Costco.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You may want to reboot the base, too.

Vesra
Aspirant
Aspirant

So, have all updates. Rebooted and inserted a new drive. Now it won't recognize the new drive and says it needs formatting (was formatted fat 32) and won't format in the hub. Again, it worked fine throughout the night until this morning. Guessing I'll need to open a support ticket.

Sport6929
Star
Star

Firmware update seemed to work for a day or so although amber light was blinking the entire time.  This morning the light turned blue and the IO error message reappeared.  I'm using 512GB SD card and I had maybe 5GB of recorded video, so doubt that was the issue.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi all, 

The team is still investigating this issue and I will be sure to provide updates as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Ctrakarn
Tutor
Tutor

After the firmware update and a reboot i was able to see the usb storage, but after a while it would say that the storage is corrupt again after a few hours.  I rebooted and formatted the card again and its been fine.  This was not something you could do prior to the new firmware.  There are references to the maximum number of files in a folder limitation.  500+.  If there are more it throws up this error and has not been fixed.

Baoviet
Star
Star

There is a temporarily fix while waiting for Arlo Technical team to fix it.  Go to the latest folder(look @ time stamped) and delete couple of files to be sure that the files in that folder are not exceed 511.  Then plug it back.  Hub will start recording again until the folder reaches 512+ files.   

Vesra
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just an update to the situation. Still not working now than a few hours. Used a new thumb drive and had the same issue. Also now having the "cannot format USB drive" issue. Figured with the money spent on these products they would work better than their cheaper counterparts devices, they don't apparently. Contacting support, hoping for a resolution.

Vdubguy2k
Star
Star

Worked for two days after the firmware update, then back to corrupt SD cards.  No new replies from support.  Pretty bad issue and support for a company that sell security-related products.

Ctrakarn
Tutor
Tutor

It appears that if a folder reaches 512 it creates a new folder and starts over. But after the 3 time it does not create a new folder and saves a 513 file. Not sure what the bug is and why don’t they just create separate folders for each camera. 512 files seems to be some sort of hard limitation?

Marcdevinci80
Initiate
Initiate

Exactly the same here. Last firmware update didn't change anything for me! => Still unusable Arlo products!

It is crazy that such a critical feature can be broken for days/weeks !!

Next time, when I have to recommend a security brand, I'll take this Story in consideration.

Please Arlo, do something.

yhap2003
Star
Star

As a result of this. I'm going to return my arlo ultra 2 to costco. Like others have said, the priority from Arlo just isn't there and this is surely consider a critical security feature.

I have missed critical recordings because of this and i'm not going to buy your expensive subscription because your product has a defect!

Vdubguy2k
Star
Star

It's definitely frustrating.  I wasn't paying attention and missed my June 2nd cutoff to return all my stuff (purchased directly from Arlo).  Ironically enough, before that I would get a reply about every day or two from support.  Now, going on 6 days and not a peep.   Before this, I was even paying for the CVR, but every time I had to reset my hub I would lose all of those recordings, so just stopped paying for that.  

I get that things happen, but going on over a month now and just getting the run around is terrible.  

Discussion stats