Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo VMB3000 how do I receive only specific camera email alerts?

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
plampert
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can the Arlo app/settings be changed to move the notification (email/push) from the Mode Rule itself to the camera settings?

I have rules set up for my modes to trigger on detection of vehicles, persons, and for some cameras, animals.  Each rule is tied to one of my six cameras and tells other cameras with overlapping fields of view to also record, in addition to the camera detecting the motion.

I'm running into serious mail bloat because instead of only a single notification from the camera detecting the motion, but also from each overlapping-view camera.  It's rather annoying, as well as a bit of a time-waster to go through and deal with the plethora of email notifications.  I don't really need (nor do I want) notifications from cameras which didn't detection motion, but are recording merely to provide a different view of the area in which motion occurred.  I know enough to check the other camera's library records in the event I actually need to view those recordings.

Thanks for any help.

6 REPLIES 6
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @plampert

Have you tried to create a custom mode & choose which cameras you would like email alerts from?

plampert
Aspirant
Aspirant

That was my original setup.  When I realized I could do so, I added adjacent cameras to each rule to grab another view of of the event causing the motion.  I'm unaware of an option for one rule to trigger a different rule in order to produce the effect you suggest while preserving the ability to capture the additional points of view.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

You can set your cameras to trigger for different objects/notifications (People, animal, vehicle) through Settings  > Arlo Smart/ Smart Notifications > change the active cameras motion alerts. It sounds like you want to cross trigger, but have different notifications for each cam, is that correct?

You may also contact customer support at the following link for further troubleshooting - Arlo Tech Support

plampert
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, for example, I have a camera watching my driveway, with a view towards the west.  When it detects motion (of a person, vehicle or animal) the rule triggers both the driveway camera and a camera watching my back door to record.  The back door camera's view is towards the east, providing a view of the other side of whatever the driveway camera sees (the back-door camera is too far away from the driveway for its motion detection to be triggered by activity in the driveway.  I have similar rules recording views on my other cameras where the fields of view might overlap, or where activity on one might cause you to suspect that activity was occurring in another zone, but not trigger motion due to the distances involved.  The Arlo app currently has notifications tied to the rule, as opposed to the camera, such that setting an email alert for the rule creates an email for EACH camera recording using that rule.  Tying notification options to the camera would allow me to deselect any notification from cameras not detecting motion, while still capturing the feed from the camera.

plampert
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I did that when I first installed the system.  As I explained in my initial query, the email notification is bound to the rule, not to the individual cameras.  If a given rule triggers multiple cameras to record, and the rule is set to generate an email notification, one email is received for each camera which records, rather than being able to receive just one email from the specific camera which detected motion and caused the rule to trigger.  I've finally just turned off the email notifications altogether because the volume of email was just too great to deal with.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support