Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Georgezed
Initiate
Initiate

I’ve had an Arlo Pro for about 3 years and recently purchased an Arlo Pro 2. My Arlo Pro ALWAYS records in colour (when night vision is turned off), regardless of light conditions.. I use it indoors. My Arlo Pro 2 records in black (with night vision turned off) unless there is a bright light in the field of view.  

I’ve contacted support who state this is normal operating behaviour as the camera switches to night vision when there is low light. However, as stated I have night vision turned off and don’t have the same issue with Arlo Pro in the same conditions. Arlo Pro will record in colour with no light on at all. I find this extremely disappointing as I don’t normally need night vision and prefer videos in colour. I have searched forums but the only solution seems to have a bright light in the camera’s view, it’s not even sufficient to have lights turned on, the light bulb needs to be in the camera’s view and on a  bright settting (this is in a room with 3 x 800 lumen bulbs). Sometimes I doesn’t even record colour during the day with partial sunlight in the room. I understand there are sensors on the camera to detect light levels, however we should the ability to turn this function off if the user only wants to record in colour with night vision off. 

SUPPORT can this be fixed with a firmware update?? I’ve already tried a second Arlo Pro 2, so my camera isn’t faulty. Anyone have any fixes or suggestions? (Apart from bright light or turning off night vision). I am thinking about returning the Arlo Pro 2 for this reason. 

thanks

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The threshold at which the camera switched between day (color) and night (B&W) is fixed in the camera and isn't adjustable. The sensor in the Pro 2 seems to be the same size as in the Pro but has more pixels (1080p for Pro 2 vs. 720p for Pro) so each pixels gets fewer photons in the Pro 2 (more pixels in the same space means smaller photo cells). I suspect that causes the camera to have to switch to night vision sooner.

Georgezed
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks. I suspected it might have something to do with resolution and also tried lowering the video quality in settings, however this didn’t resolve issue. Arlo Pro records in decent clear well light colour even if just the TV is on. I’m hoping Arlo may be able to somehow resolve with firmware update?