Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo (Not Pro) Inconsistent Motion Detection At Slow Speeds

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Jsmith218
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm wondering if it's normal for the motion detection, even with light, to be inconsistent at best when walking slow across the frame. Example, I walked slowly across my living room camera, it's at about 8 feet and I was about 12-15 feet away, if I walk slowly, not like super slow but half way slow, I can get across the room without being detected. The sensitivity is at 100. Normal or no? Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
brh
Master
Master

@Jsmith218

It is very hard to answer that as there are many things at play here. The sensors work best if one is walking across the face of the camera rather than towards or away from it. IR Heat and contrast also play a part. Depending on the placement of the camera, it can send out false signals if hot or cold air from a vent suddenlu changes. I have a neighbor that has a red car and a black car. My camera always picks up the black car but never the red car. I have missed detection if I walked very slowly, but rarely if I am moving moderately slowly.

Brian

Jsmith218
Aspirant
Aspirant

Interesting about the colors of the cars. In the example that I gave, I am walking across the camera, not towards or away from, that's why I was wondering if it was normal. Thanks for the reply.

brh
Master
Master

@Jsmith218

If you have more than one camera, try switching them out. That would let you know if you have a defective camera.

Brian

campingdad
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am getting the same thing. I have mounted one camera inside the house and one outside the house. The one inside the house consistently detects motion, the two outdoor cameras do not.  It is very random as to if the two outdoor cameras detect motion as both are perpendicular to sidewalks and neither consistently pick up on the motion.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Swap cameras around to see if it's the camera or the location.