Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Arlo Go 2 battery does not hold charge & SOLAR panel does not keep it charged to %.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
LaGem
Aspirant
Aspirant

DISSAPOINTED:  Arlo Go 2 camera. -    Purchased unit in June 2023!!

The battery life is only 1 week with or without the solar panel attached.

I have followed all the suggestions Arlo has put on the website for this problem.  I have charged the battery 100%, attached the solar panel and today I am getting a 15% less battery message which I just installed (solar panel) a week ago.  ANY SUGGESTIONS Arlo..  I am a NEW user to ARLO (less than 1 month) and I am NOT impressed!     lt looks like my only option is to run the  Arlo Indoor Magnetic charging cable down the wall and plug it into an electrical outlet and return the solar panel unit back to Arlo co.         

****These cameras are used to monitor my elderly father's health in his bedroom.  ****

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm not sure how a camera in your father's bedroom is being charged via a solar panel. I suppose the panel is outdoors and the cable is run through a window. Does the panel get decent sunlight for a good part of the day? Does the battery icon show a lightning bolt through it, indicating charging? See the link below. How many total minutes of recording and live viewing per day is happening? >5 minutes or so per day could be exceeding the panel's ability to trickle charge the battery.

https://kb.arlo.com/000038930/What-do-my-Arlo-camera-s-battery-level-icons-and-notifications-mean

LaGem
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, getting 9+ hours of direct sunlight to the window in his room which is where the solar panel is attached.

Yesterday (7.17.23), recording time was 7.35 minutes.  The current battery icon - can't see... because it just died.  I will have to go to my father's home to check it.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I suppose the glass could be causing an issue with the panel's effectiveness but can't be sure. Let us know what you find after charging the battery.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LaGem wrote:

lt looks like my only option is to run the  Arlo Indoor Magnetic charging cable down the wall and plug it into an electrical outlet and return the solar panel unit back to Arlo co.         

FWIW, that's what I would do.

The window will definitely reduce the panel efficiency, some websites I've looked at suggest it can reduce it by as much as 50%.  It depends on the details (how much sun is reflecting off the window, whether the window is low-E glass, etc).