Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
heisian
Guide
Guide

I have geo-fencing enabled such that when I am within the radius, the system should be disarmed. When I get home, the app notifies me that I have entered the geo-fencing area, yet the cameras will still notify me that they detect motion. Broken.

103 REPLIES 103
jdenunzio1180
Tutor
Tutor
Mine started working again today
RolfC
Aspirant
Aspirant

Geofencing does not work for me either (sweden). When I come home the system gives me a notification that I have entered the zone but it does not switch to "schedule", which I have set for "home". If I briefly switch from "geofencing" to something else and then back again it seems to some how update the locations of the connected devises and the mode is set to "schedule" as it is supposed. The same is true when we leave the zone. We are using iPhones.

Netgear, please recognize this problem and give us some feedback!

Friday1122
Aspirant
Aspirant

Our geo fencing has not worked in weeks. Such a pain to arm and disarm every time we leave...is there a fix in site soon?

Friday1122
Aspirant
Aspirant

Any fix in site for the geofencing so we don't have to arm and disarm all the time

ezeerf
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem here (using an iPhone X) any news for th fix?

NelsonTeleco
Tutor
Tutor
Still no fix!!?? No updates? Amazing.... looks like I’m shopping for new cameras this weekend.
Denver. IPhone X o VZ. Over 2 weeks now. System doesn’t disarm/arm based on location.
bfolch02
Guide
Guide

I've had a ticket open regarding intermittent geofencing performance for over a year now, with no resolution.  It would work maybe 40% of the time before the latest "update."  While this complete failure to work is new, the lack of response from Netgear/Arlo is not.  They apparently have more resources dedicated to new product development than they do maintaining their products because they sure like sending me emails regarding new products (ex. baby monitors).  I am not sure if they are aware it is their job to make their devices work with the phones, not the other way around.  Dear Netgear, in case you are not aware of the obvious, Apple is not trying to sell us Arlo cameras, YOU are.  It is YOUR job to make it work with the phones.  

jdenunzio1180
Tutor
Tutor
I have an iPhone X too and it still douse not work! Any update?
rbach2
Aspirant
Aspirant
In the same boat. Bought the system last week and considering whether or not I should return and go a different route.
grizzdaddy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello Netgear? Are you there? Whats the response? Stop sending me product ads for new cameras/lights and fix this first. Single most important reason I purchased these cameras. 

Jamokebob
Guide
Guide

I just chatted online with Netgear tech support. Enclosed is the chat. No resolution. More of us should chat online so there are excessive records and get this problem fixed quickly.

Friday1122
Aspirant
Aspirant

Boomer_1
Apprentice
Apprentice

James any timeline on when they may have a solution for this? When you say affecting some users, it is probably only affecting those who use it, if you are referring to some users. From what I can see there is a large number of IOS users that it is affecting. This is not a small problem.

Boomer_1
Apprentice
Apprentice

When I updated to IOS 2.4.7 is when this broke. I have an old phone still running IOS11.2.6 but running Arlo  2.4.5 so I cnfigured it to work with my account. Geo-fencing works fine with that release as it has in the past.

NelsonTeleco
Tutor
Tutor
That pretty much says it all Boomer.... would be nice to see a Netgear response and ETA...
Jamokebob
Guide
Guide
Anyone have the Arlo APK 2..4.5 for iOS? I can’t find it anywhere to downgrade the app.
KonaZing
Aspirant
Aspirant

My geofencing has also not been working for weeks.  Amazing how no fix or communication from Arlo/Netgear.  

GroundedCopilot
Initiate
Initiate
I am located in Australia and have also noticed that Geofencing has gone haywire. Tried everything to try to fix the issue but with no luck. Netgear you really need to prioritise this fix because if someone’s house get robbed (wilst in geofencing mode) it would be a PR nightmare. The security system that really doesn’t work. Not only the PR angle wouldn’t look good but when you purchase a premium product you want it to deliever a premium experience.
93srvman
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue here, Android users (wife and I)

My friend who recomended this unit is also suffering the same issue - IOS user.  It doesn't seem that it's OS specific from the post, but there are a lot of iPhone users.

Xraykid
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am having the same issue with geofencing.
jdenunzio1180
Tutor
Tutor

I think a law suit will be nessasairy if they are not willing to help there customers and continue not finding a fix to this. 

NelsonTeleco
Tutor
Tutor
It seems to me that Netgear doesn’t know how to fix the issue. If they did I have to assume they’d give people an ETA... even if it was months from now. No news, no updates..... doesn’t look good. Time for new cameras I guess.
Boomer_1
Apprentice
Apprentice

I got my geo-fencing up and working. WIl see how long it holds up. I used the Nuclear otption although it isn't that disruptive.

I setup my secondary phone as the shared phone first and it worked fine. I then deleted it and setup my wifes phone, which also worked. So at least I have 2 test cases. I will see how well it behaves over the next few days.

Here are the steps I used. You should do them in this order. It will probably be helpful if you have access to both phones, but it is manageable if you don't. This is specific to iPhones. Not sure about Androids or if they are even having the problem.

1) To perform this procedure you should be where the home base is located.

2) On both iPhones, go to Settings>Privacy>Location Services. Turn off "Location Services"  FOR THE ENTIRE PHONE. Just tap the green dot and disable it. Leave it disabled for about 30 seconds or so. It shouldn't create any issues for anything else. My Homekit geo-fencing and other services were not affected by it.

3) Turn back on "Location Services" for both phones. Trust me, if you miss this step the phone will defintely be "unavailable".

4) Login to the web on your primary account and delete the shared used.

5) Delete the Arlo app from both phones. The data is stored in the cloud so it will reappear the next time you login.

6) Re-install the app on both phones.

7) Login to the primary account again and reinitate the share for the secondary phone.

😎 Once the secondary account acknowledges the email, login to the primary phone and just make sure your configuration loads.

😎 After a coupe of minutes  Login to the second phone and just verify that you see the configuration and the acknowledgment was successful.

9) For this next few steps, if you happen to be somewhere where there are multiple wifi networks, it will go much smoother if you have both phones on the same network. 

9) Login to the primary phone and go to the Home Base and into Mode and then to Geofencing. Go to Enabled Devices. If everything went ok, you should see both devices there and they should be In-Zone

10) Check the boxes for the 2 phones to enable them. Click Done at the top and scroll down and enable "Push Notifications" for the 2 phones if that is what you normally do.  Click Done at the top.

At this point you may want to logout of both accounts and re-login just to ensure all the changes are in sync.  You should be ready to go.

jbhardman
Aspirant
Aspirant

My experience is the Geofencing feature is basically garbage.  It will go through stages of working and then not working constantly.  Been using it for almost 2 years now, and there's no rhyme or reason as to when it properly detects where I am and when it fails.  Completely hit and miss and I've done all of the add/remove/delete/reinstall/etc.  

Does anyone have this work for any sort of extended period of time just as it should?

Boomer_1
Apprentice
Apprentice

It has worked flawlessly for me for the past 9 months until this latest 2.4.7  Arlo app update.