Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Essential security cameras and Arlo VMB4500 base station

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
nbenson123
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am unable to see recordings on my USB.  Do I have the wrong base station?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dannybear
Master
Master

Yes you have the wrong base station if you want to have direct viewing access to the backup storage device.

Direct storage access for viewing with the arlo mobile app (Web portal access not featured) can only be implemented using a VMB4540(USB) or a VMB5000 Base station.

Be aware of the limitations using direct access storage, not friend shareable, no thumbnails, wifi only unless port forwarding via router or VPN.

Since you posted in the arlo camera board the arlo-wirefree, pro/2 camera’s retain the legacy free 7days feature up to 5 cameras per account.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Dannybear
Master
Master

Have you ejected the USB and looked for recordings with the pc?

nbenson123
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes of course. Do I have the wrong Base station

Dannybear
Master
Master

So to clarify, you are not seeing any arlo file recordings on the USB device when viewing it on the pc?

Just to further clarify that arlo will only store manual recordings to the arlo cloud library and never to the USB backup storage device.

As arlo delete the library recordings depending on your subscription plan limits you will need to download the recordings to a mobile or pc using the web portal in browser.

What is your base station model, look under the unit for the VMB label.

nbenson123
Aspirant
Aspirant

My base station is a VBM 4500 I didn’t notice that if I had a different one I could have direct access do I get another base station I don’t know what to do

Dannybear
Master
Master

Yes you have the wrong base station if you want to have direct viewing access to the backup storage device.

Direct storage access for viewing with the arlo mobile app (Web portal access not featured) can only be implemented using a VMB4540(USB) or a VMB5000 Base station.

Be aware of the limitations using direct access storage, not friend shareable, no thumbnails, wifi only unless port forwarding via router or VPN.

Since you posted in the arlo camera board the arlo-wirefree, pro/2 camera’s retain the legacy free 7days feature up to 5 cameras per account.

nbenson123
Aspirant
Aspirant

That’s what I thought thank you so much for your assistance

Icarus7330
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well when Arlo first came out it was great. I guess I have one of those legacy systems but they’re now choosing not to help me support. I bought cameras and attached cameras base of them just wear and tear. So I needed a new camera and bought an essential and can’t get it connected like my other cameras. I use the chat service after a gazillion questions only for them to tell me we’re not going to help you because you’re part of a legacy system and I have to buy a subscription. I used to tell everybody about the Arlo system and how great it was but now the fact that they’re forcing you to buy into subscriptions now that they’ve gone main stream I think it’s crappy. Going forward I do not recommend this product

Dannybear
Master
Master

@Icarus7330 

As you since found out about the subscription plan requirement for the essential, clearly detailed on the box when using a magnifying glass and written by a lawyer, no you’re not entitled to any help to use the product unless under warranty.

Yes, you need at least a VMB4xxx series base to use the later model cameras. You can always send it back for a refund as it is not fit for purpose.