Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Base Offline

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
BA001
Guide
Guide

Full reset of Arlo after replacing old router. All internet traffic is working from every other device on the network but unable to discover base station from the App or website.

I can see the base station VMB3010 in the client list and can ping it, but unable to connect to it in any way. I found an old thread in the community reporting also needed port 123 (ntp) open in addition to 443 and 80.

So fixed the dhcp range for the arlo base to a single address and setup a port forward to allow NTP from anywhere on both TCP and UDP to this IP.

Still no luck. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BA001
Guide
Guide

Thanks for all your help.

I have resolved the issue by configuring a new VLAN on the outside with minimal security and placed arlo base on a fixed IP in a seperate subnet and VLAN. Once outside of secure policy without IDS/IPS it connected and started to work.

Its clear Arlo requires some specifics that are not published

Thanks again

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Running a VPN?   or antivirus prgm ?

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
BA001
Guide
Guide

No AV or VPN on phone when adding the new device. Since the Base is connected to a switch that is then direct out to the internet via a router and vdsl modem. No VPN configure on FW/Router

Router is a FW with IDS/IPS. Can only think its port issues as fixed IP is added to whitelist for IPS/IDS and port forward configured to allow NTP from anywhere to fixed IP address.

Everything else works and can access the internet (list is long, included Mac, Windows, Linux, media entertainment service .......) Just not Arlo.

Thanks

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Port forwarding isn't needed on nearly all installations unless you (or the ISP) has made specific configuration changes for security.

SInce you say you replaced the router, you shouldn't need to rediscover the base at all. You should simply plug it in and it should connect since all it needs is Internet access to the servers. You can pick the system up and take it to a new location, plug it in and have it connect and work.  WHat are the base LEDs showing? If they're all green, it's already up and working.

BA001
Guide
Guide

Thanks for the quick response.

Power is green, internet globe is off, camera is amber. Have tried reseting (several times), new port on switch, fixing IP Address, DHCP IP address, changing RJ45 cable, connecting direct to router and nothing working at all. Was even thinking of B2120 LTE modem to remove the ISP but that is my last resort.

I can ping it on the network, and the description is picked up in the client list when I power it on and report traffic/activity going in and out. 

Still nothing when I try to add as a new device

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Camera LED being amber means the base needs to be claimed as if you held the reset button until the LEDs flashed amber (a true reset). The Internet LED being off usually means the base isn't connected to the router but if you can see it as a connected device in the router that seems to be not the problem. Others recently have mentioned the system working but the Internet LED is off, at least on occasion.

STart fresh. Hold the base reset button until the LEDs flash amber (again). Remove all devices in Settings, My Devices. Power cycle the modem, router and base, in that order, allowing each to initialize before going on to the next device. Use the Add Device selection in the Devices tab to claim the base. SYnc the cameras. Update firmware as you go, if prompted. 

Brute force but did that work?

BA001
Guide
Guide

Tried as you suggested.

Removed all reference for the base from the router and switch, reset everything, follwed teh sequence. No devices showing under my devices in my account.  Reset with out ethernet connected (all lights flash amber twice), once green power light was solid I power off, connected ethernet and powered on after router and switch had both been reset, checked the router and it picked up the base and assigned IP using DHCP. Try to add the base from my devices, first says taking too long, then unable to find. 

Can ping it on the DHCP assinged IP. added a file to show what the router is seeing.

Thanks again for the help. but i'm startign to lose hope

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Did the Internet LED turn green after all was booted? Have you tried connecting the base directly to the router? You mentioned using a switch and I notice the use of a VLAN in your image (I've never worked with VLANs before so have no insight there).

BA001
Guide
Guide

Internet light never comes on. VLAN is just the segment it is on and two other systems are on the same VLAN woring fine and connecting to the internet.

I will move it to another location and different connection tomorrow and see if it connects (fingers crossed). If not I guess its a new base station. 

I only wish there was some way to connect or SSH to the base and see what is happening

Thanks again for you help. this one is a real brain teaser.

BA001
Guide
Guide

I have now tested on an unsecured connection and the base connects to the internet and is discovered in seconds. This confirms to me the security in the here (FW/IDS/IPS) is the issue. I know I can get round this by placing it outside the secure network, but with basic FW. However, I would prefer to keep it inside and just forward the ports it needs to a specific address. Please can anyone confirm what ports alro uses (80,443,123 are open. What else does it use please

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Those are the ports needed but others with more network experience than I have determined that an issue with business networks is that Arlo somehow uses a secure connection over port 80 rather than only on 443. You may be able to search here (the last comment was at least a year ago) for more details. Whether this has any bearing on your issue I have no idea.

BA001
Guide
Guide

Thanks for all your help.

I have resolved the issue by configuring a new VLAN on the outside with minimal security and placed arlo base on a fixed IP in a seperate subnet and VLAN. Once outside of secure policy without IDS/IPS it connected and started to work.

Its clear Arlo requires some specifics that are not published

Thanks again