Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 17 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
ViaVeritas
Guide
Guide

I love the cameras and literally hate the Arlo App with a passion.
I am so sick of the inconsistent recording, the cameras constantly going offline for no reason, the buffering that never ends, the blank screen when viewing live, the error messages when I try to edit a camera mode and last but not least the long list of permissions the Arlo App needs in order to invade every aspect of the device it's downloaded on.
I genuinely wish I had never purchased these cameras, considering the ridiculous amount of money I spent I expected better. Unfortunately my best two options are both terrible, scrap the cameras and take a $300 loss or keep the cameras and continue hating the app with a passion.
Anyone else feel the same way?

14 REPLIES 14
waltk
Initiate
Initiate

There is room for a lot of improvement, this app is terrible. I have thirty days to return this, I am trying to find the good points, but I don't see $400 here, very little control over the cameras, which as you say are great. Probably going to return.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ViaVeritas,

Which app are you using (iOS or Android)?

Some of the issues you describe, may not be related to the app, buffering, cameras falling offline, these are issues that could indicate an interference issue or similar problem at the cameras location.

Are these intermittent issues are do you always experience this when streaming your cameras?

JamesC

BrockB
Initiate
Initiate
I am having similar problems.
All my cameras go offline after about 4-7 days. Then I have to resync them.
UsIng iOS.
Works fine for a few days
ViaVeritas
Guide
Guide

Hi James,

I'm using the Android App.

Both cameras are located within 15/20 feet of my TP Link router and have a direct line of sight. My internet service is provided by Spectrum and is rated at 100mbps.

Using the word intermittent is deceptive, the issues aren't constant but they do occur frequently to the point of being unacceptable. It's insulting and completely misleading to call these security cameras. I wouldn't even call them glorified baby monitors as that's an insult to baby monitors.

Bottom line if it's not the App then it's the cameras, either way I regret my purchase that I'm now stuck with.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A new version of the Android app has been released. Please make sure you have the latest version of the Android app installed and let me know if you continue experiencing the same behavior.

JamesC

ViaVeritas
Guide
Guide
Hello James,

Sorry for not responding sooner, but I honestly didn't even realize you had sent that last message since it took you over two weeks to respond.
My phone automatically updates my apps on a regular basis as most peoples phones do, so yes I have and have always had the most recently updated Arlo App.
I'm still experiencing all the same issues, the reason why I logged on today is because while trying to review last night's recordings the majority of them literally buffer through the entire recording. So basically what I get is less than 1 second of running video and then it buffers, it will continue the exact same pattern until the end of the recording.
I can not stress enough how much I passionately hate and despise Arlo cloud. There is literally no excuse for the inconsistent recordings. This was by far the worst money I have ever spent and now there's nothing I can do about it other than trash the cameras and buy a better brand. But of course this means I'm out 100's of dollars... Thanks Arlo!!
So my only source of justice is to spread the word and discourage as many people as I can from purchasing any Netgear related products, but especially Arlo.
I had a friend buy Arlo cameras not knowing how inferior they are, after hearing my stories they promptly returned them and purchased a Ring camera system instead. They couldn't be happier... Also had another friend about to purchase an Arlo camera and once again my stories had Arlo miss a sell.
I will continue informing everyone I can to stay far away from this sorry excuse for a security camera. In turn everyone I inform will inform more people, so on and so forth.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ViaVeritas,

I apologize for the frustration you've experienced so far. I encourage you to contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

Shanayec
Initiate
Initiate

In my relentless pursuit to seek the answer to the buffering issue, i found this thread among the many buffering complaints.  Although it began many months ago, it caused me to stop what i was doing and join this community to comment.

I could not have authored the sentiments better.  I am almost 1 year into my "investment" mostly shaking my head. Since day one and still after every app update provided, the one thing i can count on is the constant buffering. it is absolutly the most maddening anger inciting nonstop stressful occurrence - then there is the black screen delay and other issues as described. It would seem to me that the company would have diligently worked on fixing AT LEAST the buffering issue. Not only for the actual "buyers" of the cameras but to receive positive promotion from its "buyers" that could potentially generate future salesI Unfortunatly, any more, If... I am asked about my arlo, i say nothing, I simply open the app, which is aesthetically pleasing to the onlooker, and hit live.  NOT one time has the lieterate onlooker NOT read outloud...buffering? How long does that take? Thats bad...Then its the usual: well how do you fix that? Oh you cant? Support is not easy? Glad I asked - wont be buying that!  I  believed in netgear, which is why I wanted to believe in Arlo.   After every update I say to myself, with fingers crossed, I HOPE this fixes the buffering bugs....nope. I continue to wait for the fix

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Shanayec,

I have a few questions for you, Does this occur with all your cameras? How far away are your cameras from your base station? Have you tried moving your base station further from your router?

DogMom
Initiate
Initiate
Agree entirely. Sick of these inconsistent, hours of fixing them. Don't buy.
AndrewAbo
Initiate
Initiate
As an IT professional of 18+ years, I can't agree more with the sentiment of this thread.
I spend more time trying to fix the issues than I have had these in working order.
Do not buy Arlo. You will be sorry you did.
ViaVeritas
Guide
Guide
Sorry for the extremely delayed response, did not see your question until now.
I have two cameras, both are wired Arlo-Q HD and YES it happens with both of them. Although I must admit less frequently now...
Arlo-Q cameras do not require a base station, they are connected directly to a wireless router. For argument sake we can consider the wireless router a "base station". The router is a TP Link Archer C9 and my internet provider is Spectrum. I have one camera located approximately 18 feet from the router and the other camera is located approximately 25 feet from the router. Both cameras have a direct line of sight to the router, meaning if I'm standing next to my router I can literally see both cameras. The router and both cameras have never moved from their locations, considering the proximity and unobstructed wifi signal I feel it's safe to eliminate this as the source of the issue.
KingAirport
Aspirant
Aspirant
I also love the cameras and HATE the app with a passion. For over two years now I have had these cameras, the original Arlo and the Arlo 2 cameras. Basically the same issue with long buffering times, cameras disconnecting at random, and internet disconnecting from the base station for minutes at a time (also randomly). I have tried everything possible to troubleshoot and nothing seems to make these issues go away! I first thought it was my internet speeds, but no. My speeds are blazing fast, the base station less than 10 feet away from the cameras, and there is nothing obstructing the signal. I can only say I'm disappointed with Arlo. I ALSO have a nest indoor cam and the doorbell camera. They both work perfectly and have no lag, nor do they buffer at all when using the app. No random disconnects, no problems from day one. Nest is the winner here, hands down! I recently purchased the Arlo door bell, but decided to keep it in the box unopened and returned it to Home Depot. Instead, I opted for the nest doorbell. Best decision by far. Again, I have no problems with Nest cameras. Have had issues with Arlo from day one. Arlo doesn't seem to care because these issues can be found on reviews going back to 2016. Three years later they continue. I regret buying Arlo cameras, buy Nest instead. The only reason I wanted Arlo is because they work with rechargable batteries in case my electricity ever went out.
SASANTIAGO
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just started having issues with buffering.  Takes forever to view a video, of course I get the black screen first.  Then the video rolls at a snails pace or freezes. I searched relentlessly through the posts and found that others are having the same issue, for years now.  I've given up on support because they closed a ticket regarding one of my cameras not syncing, even though they never resolved the problem.  I wish I had seen these posts before I bought an Arlo, I would have spent my money elsewhere.  Now I have a camera that won't sync and forever buffering to view a video on the cameras that do work.  And I've only had the product since Sept 2019.  I read all tech reviews before buying and also read reviews that compared various camera product's.  Not happy with Arlo!