Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arko and Wink vs Z-wave

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Jayip54
Aspirant
Aspirant

I suspect there is a simple reason like improved control but can someone explain why it makes sense to connect my Arlo cameras to my Wink hub? Also do I still need to use the Arlo hub as well? Seems a little redundant. I also assume Arlo is not fully z-wave compatable. Please correct me if I am mistaken. Thanks a lot for the clarifications.

Jay

4 REPLIES 4
brh
Master
Master

@Jayip54

You are correct in that Arlo is not Zwave compatible. You must use Arlo's base station with the Arlo cameras whether or not you connect your system to your Wink system. I don't know what you mean about connedting to your wink hub. Wink hub should connect to your router and there should be no physical connection between the two. They should communicate with each other wirelessly through the cloud. Here is a link to how to connect Arlo with Wink;

https://kb.arlo.com/1169115/How-do-I-integrate-my-Arlo-cameras-into-the-Wink-app

Brian

Jayip54
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks - I understand it needs to be connected through the Arlo basestation. What is the added advantag of connecting it to Wink as well? 

brh
Master
Master

@Jayip54

I do not own the Wink system so I am reluctant to say too much about it in case I steer you wrong. My Arlo cameras are integrated with Smartthings. 

Wink should be your bridge to all the Zwave and Zigbee home automation devices. The advantages of integrating my Arlo cameras with Smartthings include:

1) By arming/disarming my Smartthings system I also am arming/disarming my Arlo system as well.

2) I am able to trigger video recordings from almost all of my smart devices - water leak sensors, open/closed sensors/ motion detectors close to but not necessarily in the line of sight of the cameras, temperature readings by these devices and luminance sensors just to name a few.

30 If I get a false notification by one of the sensors, the cameras will start recording so that I can see what is going on in my home and outside my home.

4) I can set up much more complicated Rules and Modes.

Brian

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I don't have Wink but with Smartthings, I use Arlo to trigger lights inside and outside my house as well. Other integrations are possible too