Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Are these cameras really waterproof?

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
worktheplate
Follower
Follower

Are these cameras really waterproof?  I have two that have water insertion and are not working now.  I even had the neoprene socks on them.

6 REPLIES 6
manfredz
Hero
Hero

mine have been outside all winter, storms and all.  Could it be that you didn't close the battery door right?

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Mine are also outside and 3 out of 5 are not under eaves. They have all been watertight AFAIK. I have some that have skins and when I change the batteries, I need to be careful it doesn't get trapped under the door

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

worktheplate wrote:

Are these cameras really waterproof?  I have two that have water insertion and are not working now.  I even had the neoprene socks on them.

make sure the seals ( little white o-ring ) at the doors are in good shape... I put some silicon grease on one of my really exposured cameras..

If it is real bad , you can contact Netgear re the leakage

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Daughenbaugh
Initiate
Initiate

Arlo Pro IS FULLY WATERPROOF!

We had one camera attached to a tree by our creek to catch wildlife (Deer, Racoons, Bears, Skunks, etc).  Our dog treed a squirrel and knocked the camera off the mount in her excitement - into the creek.  The last video from Arlo was the mount on the tree getting farther away as it fell into the water.  We figured Arlo was gone (I googled "Does Arlo Pro float?" but couldn't find an answer.

Weeks later the water level was down and my daughter was exploring the creek.  She came running back from the woods shouting "I Found Arlo!"  Sure enough it had gotten stuck in a muddy sand-bar.  It looked rough - muddy and all scraped up from tumbling on rocks.  Also interestingly it had picked up a lot of iron filings on its magnet!

I washed it off then dried it and opened it up.  It was still dry inside!  So it IS FULLY WATERPROOF!

But the story doesn't end here.  I logged into arlo and it was still fully functional!  In fact, it had been recording videos all of this time, including a cute video of my daughters excited face as she spotted Arlo in the mud.  And her shouting "I found Arlo!" as she carried it back to the house!  And many of me washing Arlo clean.

So Arlo is back up on a tree, but now higher out of the dog's reach and away from the stream.  But it is still working great.  We got a video of a black bear just last week.

But I still don't know if Arlo Pro floats.  I suspect it sinks.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

yougot  lucky.

Neitherarlo  model claims to bewater proof, just weatherproof.

but sometimes one gets lucky

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Nice to hear!
I'd suspect the IP65 rating is a minimum rating but it's certainly not out of the realm of possiblity that it might be better than the rating. And it's not much use being fully submersible since it transmits via wifi

You may want to consider the screw-on outdoor mount or a tether in case it happens again

Glad you didn't have to buy a new one