Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
Showguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
This morning I opened the app to view my 10 cameras to find a message over 8 of the 10 cameras to “ update the camera firmware “ been trying to do it for hours and keep getting “ update failed camera rejected update “. Now I can’t even get in to view the cameras. WTF? Help.
12 REPLIES 12
Streak2
Master Master
Master

Start by power cycling (power off for 10 seconds then back on again) your base. Let us know if that works.

Showguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Thanks for the reply. The key seems to be only to attempt to update 1 camera at a time. Than after the update all the updated cameras jumped off line. I rebooted again ( a second time) and they seem to be back on line. 7 running the new firmware and 3 the old. We will see what tomorrow brings. Ps : most of the batteries went from almost full to less than half. These firmware updates suck the life out of the batteries.
MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

Anyone know what, if anything, this firmware update to 1.2.1670 does? Hoping it resolves the issue I have with my battery pairs not switching when depleted.

tscalzott
Aspirant
Aspirant

I agree that it would be nice to know before accepting the update.  Netgear has not posted for 1.2.1670 in the Firmware Release Notes forum.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

Same here with one of my five original Netgear Arlo cameras. It is a far away outdoor camera. Indoor camera got updated fine. Others didn't tell me they had v1.2.16720 firmware upgrades to do.

Kris62
Initiate
Initiate

It would be nice if Arlo sent out emails that there is a new firmware and the date of availablity.  My carmeras started to update at 3:30am.  Started flashing blue and orange.  Woke me up and scared the S##T out of me.  What happens if I'm out of town and the cameras cannot upgrade and keep blinking.  The cameras are usless in that mode.  Come on Arlo send out emails of firmware updates.  You have our emails!

MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

Kris62 wrote:

It would be nice if Arlo sent out emails that there is a new firmware and the date of availablity.  My carmeras started to update at 3:30am.  Started flashing blue and orange.  Woke me up and scared the S##T out of me.  What happens if I'm out of town and the cameras cannot upgrade and keep blinking.  The cameras are usless in that mode.  Come on Arlo send out emails of firmware updates.  You have our emails!

That would be nice, but just as important in view of the many continuing issues, such as my cameras not switching from the depleted batteries to the fresh ones, the huge latency trying to go live on a camera, and the equally huge latency in motion detection, would be to know what the firmware update is supposed to do. 

Knowing what the firmware update is supposed to do would provide Netgear with an enormous pool of virtual beta testers who then could provide valuable feedback rather than having us just gripe about things.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

Streak2 wrote:

Start by power cycling (power off for 10 seconds then back on again) your base. Let us know if that works.

That worked with my far away stuck camera that kept failing to upgrade its firmware. However, one of the closer cameras never came back online. I think its batteries depleted even though there was about 70% left or so when I last checked. Argh.

Is it me or did these firmware updates drain a lot of battery juices during their upgrades?

brh
Master
Master

Same thing happened to me. One camera was blinking blue and orange and I freaked out. Then another camera started doing it and finally my third Arlo wireless. The Pro cameras did not seem to be affected. Thank goodness I did not power off the system. I won't forget this for awhile. Next time it happens I will know what is happening but wow, I was really freaking out.

The interesting thing about this besides not getting an email notification, I can't find anywhere that a firmware update even happened much less what the intended purpose was.

Brian

MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

MikeBravo wrote:

Kris62 wrote:

That would be nice, but just as important in view of the many continuing issues, such as my cameras not switching from the depleted batteries to the fresh ones, the huge latency trying to go live on a camera, and the equally huge latency in motion detection, would be to know what the firmware update is supposed to do. 

Knowing what the firmware update is supposed to do would provide Netgear with an enormous pool of virtual beta testers who then could provide valuable feedback rather than having us just gripe about things.

Well, I just tried to access one of my cameras that habitually time out several times before connecting and it is still doing it, so I don't think this firmware update addressed that or didn't do a very good job at it.

rjwalters55
Tutor
Tutor
Occasionally I have had a firmware update brick one of my cameras, it has always been a camera that is off warranty. Netgear needs to find a way to improve their firmware updates. It sucks to have to buy a new camera to replace one that stops working after a firmware update or gets flaky acting from a firmware update(disconnecting).
MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

rjwalters55 wrote:
Occasionally I have had a firmware update brick one of my cameras, it has always been a camera that is off warranty. Netgear needs to find a way to improve their firmware updates. It sucks to have to buy a new camera to replace one that stops working after a firmware update or gets flaky acting from a firmware update(disconnecting).

That is a concern I had thought off until you mentioned it here. A friend of mine who introduced me to the Arlo system had that happen to him, but fortunately his was still within warranty. 

Even after this round of firmware updates, my timing out issues continue. I have been studying this issue very closely and I have started to suspect that, since I have a brand new, highly rated state of the art, blazing fast full duplex, high performance DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem in bridge mode pumping out 200 Mbps, running through Netgear's own Nighthawk R7000 high performance router, my issue like all others is owing to Netgear's own servers which are the 'man in the middle' in the system.

Perhaps  their servers are overloaded or their infrastructure can handle all the simultaneous connections.