Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Amber internet LED on base station

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
avsolut
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just bought a kit. Set up according to the manual. Then, used the given ethernet wire to connect from the router directly to the base station (approximately 2 feet away). Internet light = Amber. Change to a different ethernet wire, still Amber. What to do next? Please advise

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

These are OUTGOING ports. They should be blocked for I coming. The usual configuration is for these ports to already be open but may be blocked by user or ISP configuration. Who owns the router - you or the ISP? If it's yours, it's easier since you would have had to have made a change. If it's the ISP router, you'll have to get them too change the configuration.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

avsolut wrote:

Just bought a kit. Set up according to the manual. Then, used the given ethernet wire to connect from the router directly to the base station (approximately 2 feet away). Internet light = Amber. Change to a different ethernet wire, still Amber. What to do next? Please advise

Power down Modem, router and base.... bring them back up in the same order ( give time for each to come online )
If that doesn't work, RESET the base by holding in the reset button for about ten secs till the fron leds flash... it should come back online.
PS...make sure not using malwarebytes (?) there was some trouble with a couple of anitvirus type prgms.
--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not Malwarebytes (I use that) but BitDefender.  Others could also cause issues but BD is the one most often commented on.

avsolut
Aspirant
Aspirant

had high hopes. just did what you asked for, and the internet is still amber. I'm using Macbook, so I dont have any anti-virus installed. Any other ideas?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A few things:

- Try a base station reset using the reset button until the LEDs flash amber. Does the Internet LED become green?

- Check your routerntonsee oif ports 80, 443 and 123 are open to netgear.com.

- Regardless of your computer platform, computer or mobile, ALWAYS use antivirus/malware. Thinking your safe makes you part of the problem.

avsolut
Aspirant
Aspirant

thanks for the reply.

I've check the ports using http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/, none of the ports are open. Port 123 is closed Port 80 is closed Port 443 is closed. How do i open the ports to netgear.com?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

These are OUTGOING ports. They should be blocked for I coming. The usual configuration is for these ports to already be open but may be blocked by user or ISP configuration. Who owns the router - you or the ISP? If it's yours, it's easier since you would have had to have made a change. If it's the ISP router, you'll have to get them too change the configuration.

avsolut
Aspirant
Aspirant

ahh i see. ok, i'll try and give them a call. will update afterwards on whether that works or not. thanks!

avsolut
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok, done! All good now. Thanks again all 🙂

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What fixed it?

avsolut
Aspirant
Aspirant

called my ISP and asked for the outgoing ports to be configured. Thanks again yeah.