All arlo cameras down and bricked

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Metal500
Aspirant
Aspirant

Had a power outage in my county recently. For some reason my router went dead, so I got a new one. Once the power was restored all of my arlo cameras were offline. I tried everything. Can't re-sync. I tried resetting the base station, I tried opening and closing the battery case, I tried replacing batteries. All the cameras are bricked no matter what. They will not resync, they won't even light up at all when sync button is pressed. No response whatsoever. I have 4 bricks now. Very expensive bricks. I don't think changing the router is the problem because my mom lives in another neighborhood, and when her power came back, her camera was bricked as well. They worked fine until internet connection was lost, and now they don't work at all. I hate this. The only way I can get them to work is to plug into the hidden micro usb port. If I do that I can sync the camera to the base station and use it, BUT ONLY, while the micro usb cable is plugged into it and plugged into a power source. As soon as I remove the micro usb and try to run it off of a battery, it is back to being a brick. All 4 cameras display this behavior. No lights, nothing. I just want this to be over. There is no help number or anything. I feel like I got robbed by arlo security. Is there any way to bet at least some of my oney back. I have 4 useless bricks. Help me please.

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Since you stated the cams sync with the usb power cord, it sounds like a battery problem, not necess a bricked cam

You said you replaced the batteries... What type are you using ??

And not to be silly, but there are stickers inside that show proper +/- placement of batteries... Check this as you should get a blue falsh and/or click noise when batteries are right.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Metal500
Aspirant
Aspirant

I ended up speaking to a rep on th phone, He saif that when the internet is down the batteries run out because the cameras keep sending requests to the base station. It turned out to be dead batteries and the batteries I had bought were the wrong size. Really sucks to know that if I lose internet for an extended period of time that I will need to buy new batteries. Those things aren't cheap.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Metal500 wrote:

Really sucks to know that if I lose internet for an extended period of time that I will need to buy new batteries. Those things aren't cheap.

Yes, that is a problem...but not 100% sure of what you were told is correct... maybe mis-understanding.

What I have seen is that if the BASE loses power, the cameras try and reconnect using more power than normal... If the base has power the cameras are happy and works as normal.  Haven't seen it where the cameras loose/use more power if the internet is off, only the base.

Many user ( myself too ) have the base unit on a ups so the power to the base stays on and cameras work as normal.

As to batteries, they can be costly unless bought from a supply house ( my last batch were $1.43 each )

Morse is faster than texting!
Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
Use rechargeables and enjoy arlo without ever worrying about buying batteries ever again... I really like my eagletecs.😊
julman
Aspirant
Aspirant

Pet1700, could you post exactly which eagletec batteries you use? 

Thanks in advance.