Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

All Arlo Cameras lost connection to base station

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
SGLittle
Tutor
Tutor

I’ve twice suffered a serious failure with my Arlo Camera System and I can’t get a satisfactory explanation from Netgear.

On both occasions all 11 of my cameras lost connection to the base station and during this time completely drained their batteries. This is the second set of batteries I’ve lost to this problem, but more seriously, the second time within 2 months I’ve had the security of my property compromised - one occasion while I was on vacation.

My confidence in this system is now very low.

I know others have experienced similar problems, but has anyone received an acceptable explanation or solution?

See the below dialogue I had with their support agent. I apologise for my somewhat terse dialogue, but the agent annoyed me very quickly by ostensibly not understanding the problem and leading me down a long path of seemingly irrelevant questions. He eventually ended the chat!

Wea C
Hi . Thank you for choosing NETGEAR.
6:21:08 AM
Me
Hello
6:21:18 AM
I’ve suffered a very serious problem with my Arlo system for the second time.
6:22:05 AM
All my 11 cameras lost connection to the base station.
6:22:33 AM
i’ve had to re-sync all 11 cameras as no other action would re-connect them.
6:23:41 AM
During the time they were offline the system drained all 11 sets of batteries. 8 of which were installed just 2 weeks ago.
6:24:39 AM
In the UK this is £80 worth of batteries
6:25:17 AM
This is the second time this has happened in 2 months.
6:25:40 AM
On the forum there seems to be others who have suffered similarly.
6:26:18 AM
Wea C
My name is Wea with Expert ID 46215. How may I assist you today?
6:26:25 AM
I am sorry for this inconvenience. I will be glad to assist you today. May I have the email address that is associated with your Arlo account please?
6:27:34 AM
Wea C
Thank you. Please be informed that your device comes with 2 years of Hardware Warranty from the date of purchase which was on May 30, 2017 base on your product registration and your support is tied up with your subscription which is Elite.
6:29:35 AM
May I know what have you done so far?
6:29:45 AM
Me
Most of my cameras are now working again (for now). But this the second time it has happened. It is more than inconvenient. It has compromised the security of my property and impacted me financially. 4 of my cameras are outside and can only be accessed by ladder. To re-sync 11 cameras takes several hours. I’ve lost confidence in the system and want an explanation. This in my view seems to be a software problem.
6:36:01 AM
Wea C
I see. One of the reasons why the camera keeps getting offline would actually depend on the usage. As I can see here, your Arlo system is up to date. I would like to ask, how long do you play live on the cameras? How many recordings does the cameras have per day?
6:38:19 AM
Me
Did you read my initial comments??? This has nothing to do with usage. 8 sets of my batteries were new 100%. 3 sets over 70%. Every single camera (ALL ELEVEN) lost connection to the base station at the same time. While they were disconnected (overnight) all 11 cameras drained their batteries. I say AGAIN this has happened twice and is a complete system failure when it occurs.
6:42:23 AM
Wea C
I have read it. I would like to know if what troubleshooting steps have you tried.
6:44:42 AM
Me
Power cycling base station. Power cycling cameras. Attempting to reset the cameras via the individual camera settings. Only sync works.
6:47:11 AM
There is no other troubleshooting I could have done.
6:47:52 AM
According to your knowledge base on the Arlo site.
6:48:20 AM
Wea C
Actually, there are still steps that you need to try just to see if it's a camera or wireless interference in between cameras. Changing the wireless channels in your router would help to prevent these issues. It would be better to change the channels to 1, 6 or 11. Also try to swap the location from the other cameras.
6:50:36 AM
Me
I have never suffered from wireless problems before this issue. My cameras have worked fine and are well within the range of the base station. I have an IT background and can recognise the symptoms of wireless interference. Furthermore, my environment has not changed - no wireless equipment added or changed, and I don’t have close neighbours. This is no doubt an Arlo related problem.
6:56:28 AM
Wea C
Please run a speed test in your network. Please go to http://www.speedtest.net/
6:57:52 AM
Me
5.2 mgb. I did it 5 mins ago. 4.5 to 5.5 is average for my area, and again has not caused issues previously.
6:59:53 AM
Wea C
I need to know the upload and download speed.
7:01:33 AM
Me
Upload 1.3 Download 5.2
7:02:38 AM
Wea C
Would you mind to grab those cameras?
7:03:45 AM
Me
What do you mean? Go and get all 11 cameras!
7:05:12 AM
Be specific. What are you asking me to do? Bear in mind my cameras are mounted in high places and set. I have 2 accessible now because I didn’t have enough batteries to replace those drained. Again.....what are you asking me to do?
7:08:14 AM
Are you going to reply?
7:10:42 AM
Wea C
My apologies as we are currently having some connection issues.
7:14:12 AM
I would like to know the specific range of those cameras if you don't mind. Note the number of walls between the camera and the base station. Your camera might go offline if metal objects or thick walls and ceilings exist between the camera and the base station.
7:14:13 AM
Me
My cameras have worked fine for over a year, and as I said earlier, are well within the range of the base station. I’ve not moved them, or built any new walls between the cameras and the base station! Why would all 11 (in different locations – one only 3 mtrs from the base station) suddenly lose connection? Shall I explain the problem again as you seem to be asking me questions not relevant to the failure the system has suffered??
7:15:11 AM
The agent has ended the chat.

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The usual issue is a loss of power for an extended period of time. A lot of us have the base, router and modem all on a UPS to help fly through these times. It appears that the base has a timing issue when it, along with your network, lose power and then all power up at the same time. If the base is ready before the router, that seems to trigger an issue where the base isn't connected. Keeping them all powered all the time alleviates the issue.

SGLittle
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the reply, and this is the type of explanation or troubleshooting suggestion I would have hoped to get from Netgear.

I was however working from home on the first occasion it happened.

I’d accessed the cameras in the morning without problem and tried again in the afternoon to watch out for a delivery, but then found all had lost connection.

So between 10am and 1pm the base station lost connection to all cameras and during that time I was sat in front of a desktop pc and didn’t suffer any power disruptions.

Very frustrating situation, and very costly!

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I occasionally find I can't connect but a force close on the app or logging out and back in for a browser has always worked for me.