Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

After a power failure both camera's went offline

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Ardie33
Follower
Follower

We  had a ten hrs power outage. After outage all cameras went off line and I have to pair them again a few times. Appears internet connection was re established only and not the camera. Is ther any up date if you are on vacation, the cameras go on line after a long power failure?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You may want to invest in an uninterruptable power supply/battery backup for your modem/router/base station so power outages don't affect anything.  I have a 750VA unit which has worked quite well while others have larger ones.  You'd have to test any UPS to determine how long it would last although using the power supply stickers on each unit would give you a worst case way of doing the math before purchasing.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I also run a UPS.... tho to cover ten hours is a long time it's not impossible. It depends how much current draw is connected to, wasted power running the invertor,  and how big the UPS is.

From a few tests I've run I can say the most important unit to keep powered is the Arlo Base.  If my cable modem goes out ( I unplugged it a few times in testing ) and then power comes back it auto starts up again ...  Also the same for the router.  At this point, Arlo is back online.

There are times when Arlo is offline, the cameras attempt to re establish contact with the base and at some point ( unknown factor ) give up.

Remotely , you can reboot the base, but not the cameras.

So, If Arlo base stays powered, I think you have the best chance of getting all back when AC power comes back.  You can easily test  this before buying a UPS by just powering down parts of you internet system at different stages in the chain.

As to just powering the Base, It draw about  .6 amps from the wall wart so from a normal size UPS you'll get quite a few hours at least ( leave it to u for the math and there are ups calulators online. )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If the modem and router aren't connected to the UPS you won't be able to record anything. That obviously increases the power requirements but is quite doable.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

jguerdat wrote:

If the modem and router aren't connected to the UPS you won't be able to record anything. That obviously increases the power requirements but is quite doable.

Yes, that would be best... and prob only increase the current draw by an amp or two.... because even with power out, if they are powered ( and cable isn't really down ) it would still function. That is how I run it, tho I've never  run it more than 3-4 hours as by then I usu turn on the house gennie.

But to get max time out of a resonable priced UPS the lowest draw will last longer.  Most of the smaller units run 12v batteries at 7 amp hours. 10 hrs may be a stretch

Morse is faster than texting!