Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Bobby_McLean
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was referred to this site by an ARLO Tech Support person as an avenue to reach an ARLO Engineer who may be better able to provide a more detailed answer than was available from the tech, who was limited by the scope of the Knowledge Base provided to him. Hence, this is not an idea, but a question: Of the 4 ARLO Base Stations I have setup in different locations, 2 units broadcast their SSID in this format: NTGR_VMB_nnnnnnnnnn & the other 2 in this format: NETGEARnn I understand that only the associated cameras use the SSID, but the support person could only speak to the fact that the SSID is "System Generated" which does not explain why the format is inconsistent among these Base Stations. Thank you, in advance, for any information you may lend in this regard.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bobby_McLean
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you, James, for your reply. Upon further investigation, it has been determined that the native SSID format is: NETGEARnn & the alternate format, (which is a calculated derivative of system date/time) occurs after a 'Factory Reset' has been performed on the Base Station. Again, thank you for our response.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Bobby_McLean,

As mentioned, the SSID is only used to allow the Arlo Wire-free cameras to connect to the base station. The format of the SSID may vary from base station to base station but both formats you mention above are commonly used and there is essentially no difference.

JamesC

Bobby_McLean
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you, James, for your reply. Upon further investigation, it has been determined that the native SSID format is: NETGEARnn & the alternate format, (which is a calculated derivative of system date/time) occurs after a 'Factory Reset' has been performed on the Base Station. Again, thank you for our response.

jasmin7
Aspirant
Aspirant

hi,

i have a question.

( i'm korean arlo user. my english skill is limited...so may i ask for excuse? 🙂 ) 

first, i set up my arlo base station. ( this time, base station's wifi ssid name is generated . -> ssid name : NETGEARnn and this ssid name haven't password. maybe, anyboy access to this ssid. )...

but i wanna set up wire free arlo camara 'outside'..

so i bought camara cradle on internet site. ( i wait for cradle for 3~4 days.)

and now i recieve camara cradle , so i set up arlo camara + basestation again..

( but, suddenly  this time! base station's wifi ssid name is not NETGEARnn .  base station's ssid name is generated : NTGR_VMB_nnnnnnnn. + suddenly this ssid name's password is generated. and i don't know it's password... )

so i confused...

why base station's ssid name is chaged...?

and why this ssid name has it's own password..?

i did not set ..

Additional, this camara + base station is not working.

base station and main wifi router connection is well...

i find this phrase.

' your arlo device appears offline. please make sure it's powered on and commected to the internet '

how can i fix my base station...?

please , help!

(i try arlo first time. and package is so pretty.. i'm lovin it!

i expect it's fuction ,too

thank you!!)

(  model number: vms3130 set : i think,  vmc3030 camara 1ea + vmb3000 base station 1ea .)

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Try turning the power off and on for the base station. Does that help with the Internet connection issue? If not, you may need to reset the base station by pressing the reset button on the base until the LEDs flash amber. Remove all devices found in Settings, My Devices. Add the base into your account by using the Add Device button on the Devices tab and then sync the cameras.

The SSID has changed due to firmware updates. I don't know why. It's nothing to worry about. You cannot use the WiFi connection for the Arlo cameras for anything else. That's why the password is not given to you. If someone were to hack into the base WiFi, the system would be at great risk.
jasmin7
Aspirant
Aspirant

thanks for your kind response. 🙂

I've done according to your advice.

but it is not working....

and my house's internet connection is very well...

first, i set up my arlo base station. ( this time, base station's wifi ssid name is generated . -> ssid name : NETGEARnn and this ssid name haven't password. maybe, anybody access to this ssid.  ->

i suspect someone access to this wifi... but i haven't method how to know its the actual state )...

so sad... 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
You may need to open a case with support using https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

The SSID is broadcast but there's no concern. The only thing that it's good for is to let you know that the base WiFi is working.