Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

5th camera never shows a live feed, regardless which camera it is

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Rodolfo
Star
Star
Hi Tom,

How can you record from all cameras when either of them detect motion? The settings only allow for a camera to start recording when ONE camera detects motion, it could be the same camera or other camera, but just one.

I have 5 cameras, when I want to see their live feed on all of them the system only allows for 4 simultaneous views, the last camera I click on (as the fifth, which ever was that one) never shows a live feed, only the first 4 I clicked, is there a limitation on the system? I tried with the lowest quality image setting and it still does not work. I have over 30Mbps WiFi router on a 100 Mbps fiber service.

Best Regards,

Rodolfo
11 REPLIES 11
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Mostly answered in a previous thread listed below;

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Troubleshooting/Can-Arlo-do-Simultaneous-Recordings/m-p/1908#U1908

But I guess what you want to confirm from Netgear ... What is the max number of streaming cameras at one time.??

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Rodolfo
Star
Star
Correct Tom, but that is already confirmed by Netgear: 4 concurrent streams, and they recommended me to open an "idea" request, which I am doing here,.

However, this should not be an "idea" but rather a criticism of the misrepresentation of the limited capabilities of the 5th camera Arlo pushes people to buy on the main screen of the Arlo app, and also the lack of information of what a 5 camera basic service is actually capable to do.

Best Regards,

Rodolfo La Maestra
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I see it more along the lines of different cameras not all streaming at the same time due to being in different locations..so really a moot point for 5 cams

When you get in the higher levels it effects more.

Rodolfo
Star
Star

Could you please clarify what exactly you mean with that?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Rodolfo wrote:

Could you please clarify what exactly you mean with that?

Yes... if you have 5 cameras ( some in the front, back, inside OR inside all in different rooms ) there's prob no way all will be activated by motion at the same time. So all 5 camera recording is prob a moot point.

( hard to make things short and sweet sometimes )

Rodolfo
Star
Star

Thanks Tom,

I agree with you regarding the probability of NOT having all 5 cameras in a situation they would all detect outdoor motion and need to record their own event simultaneously, unless someone has a situation that requires them to record what the 5 cameras see in front of them when triggered by a motion event detected on a selected single camera, which is probable considering the multiple angled cameras solution some people were forced to adopt because of the way cameras "like" to detect motion laterally and less frontally, a weakness I hope Arlo would correct on the existing units eventually.

My concern is rather not been able to view the live-feed stream of all the 5 cameras at once using the app.  

As it is now the app allows for simultaneous viewing of 4 live-feeds but in order to see the fifth camera live the app requires me to completely leave the live-feed viewing screen and come back to it so I can click the fifth one, I hope I would never have a situation that the time loss on doing that would be a real problem, but this is not convenient.  

While Arlo figures out how to correctly implement 5-camera live-streaming concurrently Arlo could have easly implemented a feature for the user to click out any camera's live-feed to allow the user to click on the fifth camera without having to leave the live-feeds screen, in other words, on the same screen cameras should be able to be click on and off of the live-feed.

I want to be clear on this, if Arlo would have just implemented the basic system with four cameras and the basic service for four, this issue of the 5th camera would not have been brought up as a weakness, but Arlo constantly A) prompts (actual word should be: bugs) a user for buying all the 5 cameras on the viewing screen on the app, B) has a 5-camera-basic-service plan for the base (not 4), and C) there is no information on the web site, the app, and on 5th camera purchasing ad, about the 4 camera limitation, while all those are misleading at best, I call it misrepresentation of product advertising. 

Best Regards,

Rodolfo La Maestra

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

Rodolfo wrote:

As it is now the app allows for simultaneous viewing of 4 live-feeds but in order to see the fifth camera live the app requires me to completely leave the live-feed viewing screen and come back to it so I can click the fifth one,(..)

(..) Arlo could have easly implemented a feature for the user to click out any camera's live-feed to allow the user to click on the fifth camera without having to leave the live-feeds screen, in other words, on the same screen cameras should be able to be click on and off of the live-feed.

But there is an "off" button to stop a camera from streaming its live feed. It appears as soon as you hit the Play button. A row of symbols appear above the video feed, the leftmost of which is a Pause button. Are you saying that although you hit the Pause button of one camera when streaming four cameras concurrently, hitting the Play button of your fifth camera resulting in a different set of four concurrent streams won't work?

Rodolfo
Star
Star

Thanks Schorschi,

You are right, the pause button on the top left actually does stop the live-feed, I did not try that before because since it was right by the record button I thought it was only to pause "the recording" not the live-feed as well.

Thanks.

My main point of the thread sustains.

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

So, are you able to pause one and start another camera that way without having to leave and revisit the page? I can't test it myself, because I only have four cameras.

Frozeninalaska
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just bought 5th camera and had no idea it would not work the same as the other 4. I agree - it should show the last shot same as the others rather than being a green screen. The 5th camera also seems to cause a problem with the connection altogether. Cameras have lost connectivity several times since I added 5th camera. This did not happen before.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Remove the camera - do the other cameras work ok then?  Maybe a bad camera?