Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

3 of 4 cameras are offline

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
AustinTX
Follower
Follower

Not sure why, but 3 of my 4 cameras are "offline" and one is fine.  

6 REPLIES 6
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

AustinTX,

Welcome to the community! There are a few possibilities as to why a camera may be offline. It could be dead batteries or the camera is unable to communicate with the base station because of poor WiFi signal due to interference or range. Consider bringing the camera closer to the base station and power cycling it. Take note of the LED indicator on the camera. If after power cycling the camera does not come back online, consider replacing the batteries.  Let us know if this helps!

JamesC

woseyjales
Luminary
Luminary

JamesC wrote:

AustinTX,

Welcome to the community! There are a few possibilities as to why a camera may be offline. It could be dead batteries or the camera is unable to communicate with the base station because of poor WiFi signal due to interference or range. Consider bringing the camera closer to the base station and power cycling it. Take note of the LED indicator on the camera. If after power cycling the camera does not come back online, consider replacing the batteries.  Let us know if this helps!

JamesC

James,

I see y'all seem to be coming around to my way of thinking and advising people about heir wifi connection. Netgear is well aware of my issues and I just started another thread about what's going on with my system.  I have a question.

Why is the 2.4ghz wireless communication between the base station and cameras so weak??? I have 4 bars on my radar icon, even though, my cameras say they are offline, or I get the "request timed out" message and it's taking an extrordianry amount of time  from the request to stream live, to when it actually streams live, that's if I don't get the "request timed out"!!!

Something is wrong with the 2.4 ghz wifi signal from base to camera and I think it's about time to get to the bottom of this!!!

I just turned my base station about a half inch to the left and now my cameras are responding as they should and (4) of my cameras are within 20 feet or less, the fifth camera is at 30 feet and sometimes I have one bar and sometimes I have 2 bars on the radar icon, but this camera routinely outperforms the others.

I've about had it, with the constant fiddly fartin around with this entire system!!!

um_chili
Tutor
Tutor

Hi all,

I have a related question: One of my cameras ran out of batteries. I took out the old batteries, put in new ones, and the camera seemed to sync with the base station OK. But when I go to the website to monitor it, it still says "You need to replace batteries" and indicates that my camera has zero power. I swapped out the batteries for some (additional) new ones thinking that maybe I'd gotten a bum set, but that didn't fix it. 

I see that some people have referred to "power cycling" a camera. Other than just taking out the batteries, what does this mean? Any other thoughts? Much appreciated--

DF

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
You misread. It's power cycling of the base, using the power switch.
um_chili
Tutor
Tutor

Noted. Related, do you think power cycling the base station would address the problem I described (a single camera that appears stuck on a "low battery" indication)?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
It can although opening and closing the battery door may be needed, too. Check to verify you have the latest firmware on all cameras. Worst case, you may need to remove the camera from Settings, My Devices and resynchronize.