Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Issues using Cross-Recording

Discussion stats
bmattox79
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just want to get an idea of how many users had some type of issue today either with rules on your mode not working, getting alerts with no video. Don't post problems with getting the right motion angle or mounting issues. I had a custom trigger mode set for 2 weeks where camera 1 would detect motion record and have camera 2 record. Camera 2 would detect and record and have camera 1 and 3 record. These rules worked great till sometime early today 7/20/16 when none of the activated cameras would trigger the others in the rule. I hard and soft rebooted the base to no avail. It seems to be getting back to normal now. The purpose of this post is just to get a record of how many ppl this affected not to bash. When I contacted netgear and told them a bunch of problems like mine popped up on the forums and asked if they had any server issues they said they had to confirm. I think with a web based service if they have a server or software issue they should instantly advise ppl so we don't go crazy and at least know they are working on it. Still love my Arlo!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bmattox79
Apprentice
Apprentice
Also wanted to add that I got home from work this morning and set up all my stacked rules and they have been working like they should for hours s
Thank you netgear

View solution in original post

67 REPLIES 67
cam33
Tutor
Tutor

+1. I have the similar pro problem as op. I only have 2 cameras. The rule is camera 1 detect record and 2 record. Camera 2 doesn't detect as it faces a busy record in front of house but I need it to face that way to record if anything goes wrong. As of yesterday 12 am all is good and then camera 2 "stop recording" after alert message comes through. I really don't think it doesn't record because when I pop out at night to test by walking by camera 1, I see red IR on both cameras which means they are recording. My wifi signal is strong, batteries are good (still 75%~80%), and internet is limited data. I think the pro is not on my side. But on the Arlo's side. It is uploaded, but not saved to the cloud.

Why? The reason is simple. They changed rules. They think people like us is to "abuse", not with smart rule like this to save our both problems (the problem with Arlo is battery powered). To use one of the cameras as a motion detector will significantly reduce false alert, to be precisely (I install camera 2 behind the gate) effective to monitor what you really need to know, but not just a bird, a car or a people walking by, thus it saves my time to attend and saves battery life. Before the problem up, I only had 2-3 alerts a day which is for max 1 min per camera the battery hence can run for 1 year according to the test from other guys in the community. When I used camera 2 to detect and record by itself (the standard rule) as it faces the road I got 5 alerts in an hours and 120 alerts a day if on for 24 hours and you need to check up 120 times day and night. If every video is 10 sec, for camera 2, it is 20 min a day so how long do you think the battery would run? flat in few days or weeks i think. But now I can have them on for 24 hours, just because with "one to trigger record on all" rule. Arlo you really need to think and observe what is abuse and what is smart use. I know you have setup a new policy on the server's side to ban those multi-recording videos. You are just such a fool that let real experienced user go away! You think it is eazy to use and install. No! Same as op I have spent a week to figure out where and how to deploy my cameras and direction etc. It needs a brain to work it out and when it gets right, you will love it. And now you are going to take everything back when we are just right there. Think about it, and think twice. If that is only about the cost of running the cloud, at least you should tell us clearly, free vs $. I strongly believe all the evil is in that free cloud. People who are affected have something same in common : more than 2 cameras, the more you have more cloud to be used, multi-recording, the more to be recorded, the more cloud thing too. The conclusion is about money, not technology. I hope I am clear.
PS: What TomMac did that re-sync etc is a way to unlock the camera from the system so it can't track it down it appears normal. I am sure it would happen again if their system lock it with the stupid new policy. They think they are smart, without public awareness, they are just a fool. 

bmattox79
Apprentice
Apprentice
So your saying this is due to a change in the Terms of service?? That would make sense in that as soon as I go back to single camera everything works again. Do u have a link to where u saw they changed the terms or policy?
cam33
Tutor
Tutor

Just guess. But it will make senses when you see those problems pop up today. For examples:

Op you and I:  1 trigger multi record rule die >> Reducing uploading data to save running cost of their cloud

TomMac: Multi cameras, (5 he said) and 2 of them not working >> Reducing uploading data to save running cost of their cloud

Black and White image :  For sure it reduces data uploading when black and white

IFTTT issue:  Recipe not working (i.e. other IFTTT compatible devices cannot trigger Arlo but only let it report low battery status, so the report won't cause a uploading data) >> Reducing uploading data to save running cost of their cloud

Conclusion, they have setup something outhere without your knowing it! And won't be a term and condition for your reading.
they control the button, not you. if you are not happy, kick them back to the store is the only way to give them pressure.

talking to livechat, useless. 

complain in community, helpful as the whole world will listen. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Sorry, but I think your def over thinking this and there is no conspiracy against us.

As to my cameras, yes , 2 glitched after arming but NONE of them had any data flow nor was Netgear saving any data space...and it was a first for me with these two cameras... sometimes computers glitch, thats all.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

RULES no longer working......

Can't wait to hear the the explaination on this one....

nngnng
Apprentice
Apprentice

I think the explaination would be: 

- Ensure the side-to-side traffic crosses Arlo field of view

- Mount your Arlo camera at least 7 feet

- Postion your camera so that the space that you want to monitor is within the cameras fov

bmattox79
Apprentice
Apprentice
That's not an explanation, nothing on my cameras has changed since I installed them, when my front door detected motion it recorded as well as my side door recorded, now with the same rule set up my front camera is the only one to record none of my rules are being followed none of my secondary cameras are recording. The only camera recording is the one that motion was detected on. I have tried re writing the rules on making one of the cameras trigger another one, no matter how I do it the second camera will not record anymore, it has to be on netgears end
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Agree that it very well may be Netgears side, they may be doing some far end work...all I was saying was it not a big conspiracy nor a change of service.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For those in this thread experiencing this issue. Please private message me with your case number that you have open with support and I will escalate accordingly.

Thank you,

JamesC

bmattox79
Apprentice
Apprentice

i def didnt think it was a conspiracy, someone commented that it was a TOS change due to abuse of cloud space, so i was asking if someone could confirm that cause i didnt hear anything about that.  I would think that if netgear had issues and had changed a policy or TOS they would notify their users before the change was made.  

TomMac wrote:

Agree that it very well may be Netgears side, they may be doing some far end work...all I was saying was it not a big conspiracy nor a change of service.

nngnng
Apprentice
Apprentice

Why so secretive ?  Private message ? Can't tell the public what is going on here ? 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

nngnng,

I did not intend for my post to seem secretive. I am collecting information on this issue via support cases for further investigation.

I will post an update once I have more information.

JamesC

bmattox79
Apprentice
Apprentice
Just wanted to say jamesc was not being secretive he just needed some information that I wouldn't share on a message board and some more info that also doesn't need to be shared here. I'm glad he is working to get all of us with this probes moved along so they can address this issue.
codypet
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem you described.   I talked with Arlo customer service at noon and they had me remove and resync everything and delete and create new rules.   That didn't help.   Also when I set record time to 30s it saved as 20s.  I saved it as 40s.   I reached out to them again and they said its a known problem and they're working on a solution.

cam33
Tutor
Tutor

Hi nng JamesC is going to help us don't make him difficult. What I don't trust is the company usually the bigger the less I would trust. Don't listen to those technical support they are nothing but help to buy some time if something really goes wrong. They would prejudge its customer fault and ask you flip this and bang that to "help it working" why? To follow the instruction (in most cases you don't have many options and you have to) is equal to confess you agree you are the source of the problem as you are looking into your side not them. And you get tired of and give up then the real solution comes one day morning everything is working that they solved it from behind. There is nothing about what you do what you think but about them. It is about PR management any larger company would have that is to control the situation while they are working on it. I know as I was ever one of them. What is really about is you have to speak it loud and you don't believe it and don't believe it is your fault and anything on your side you can save. And you are prepared to kick thing back for money as law protects you. They will get is solved. 

There are three words large company would play on consumers FUD which is fear, uncertainty and doubt. It appears in policy and white paper for example Apple will tell you if you break jail you would be affected by virus, malfunction and no warrant. Same as for Arlo to warn you not to use rechargeable 16340 batteries. You follow it they smile. But thing is there is a thread about battery, 16340 works and works well. Talking to any technical support initial answer you would have is "it is your fault, we are clean, plus a heap of stupid copy and paste instruction and some FUD rubbish" all for let you be quiet when they are gauging the situation and making decision 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

@cam33

For your info and others I made a call into Netgear... My contact confirmed the there is a problem that the engineering dept is working on re multi recording ( re stacked rules )

So the problem is being worked on and I really don't ehave any other info yet ...if I hear anything else I'll pass it along

Arlo07
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same problem here with rules. Very frustrating to know that rules are not working properly (ie If motion detected on A then record on B rules NOT working). Nothing has change with my rules or cams' positions.
bmattox79
Apprentice
Apprentice
Apparently a lot of users have been affected by this but netgear has acknowledged an issue and is working on a fix. So hopefully we will have a fix soon
Gmteach00
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just talked to support and they again indicated that engineering is working on it, in the meantime they suggested using rules that allow each camera to trigger indivdiually, vs cross trigger.  I would encourage everyone having the issue to call or use chat to document their concern with a case #.

bmattox79
Apprentice
Apprentice
That's what the default "all motion on" is, that's what I'm using right now till they hopefully fix it
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

bmattox79 wrote:
That's what the default "all motion on" is, that's what I'm using right now till they hopefully fix it

Actually if you still are using 'all motion on' , that is from pre big SW update in late dec '15...

The new default is ARMED and DISARMED.

I would write down all the old settings used in all motion on then delete it and write a new one ( with same name if wanted ) , just that there have been a few times there was interaction using the old defaults.

bmattox79
Apprentice
Apprentice
So does that mean my base still has old firmware cause it's still and option on mine, I have armed, disarmed, schedule, geofence, all motion on. My firmware version on my base is 1.7.5_6178
bmattox79
Apprentice
Apprentice
I re read ur post and realized what u said, I put those settings from all motion onto armed and deleted all motion on, even though I'm pretty sure netgear is saying it's something on their end and they are aware of it
Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
I am having the same issue. Rules not working if set to detect motion on one camera and record on another while at the same time also recording on the one that detected motion...

Not only that... I have to restart the base at least once a day, or cameras simply show offline within 24hrs unless base is restarted.