Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

False triggers after loging in.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
vint83
Guide
Guide

I noticed that one of my cameras (out of 3) almost always triggers the motion recording when I launch the iOS app or login through web site.

This is only happening if camera is armed.

Does anyone see similar behaviour? Any advice how to fix that?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
vint83
Guide
Guide

Finally, after chatting with Customer support and real time debugging, they decided to replace one of my cameras. With the new camera I received bug is no longer reproducible. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

vint83,

What is indicating to you that motion is being triggered upon logging into the app? Are you seeing the running man turn amber on the cameras screen? Does it produce content in the library when this happens?

Does this happen when using a custom mode for motion detection or is it only when using the default armed mode?

Are you sure that nothing is triggering the camera (a normal motion event moving across the cameras field of view)  when you are opening the app? One way to further test would be to take the affected camera and place it in an area where there is no possibility of motion and see if you get the same results.

JamesC

vint83
Guide
Guide

Hi,

What is indicating to you that motion is being triggered upon logging into the app? Are you seeing the running man turn amber on the cameras screen? Does it produce content in the library when this happens? 

Yes, as soon as I login to the app or through the web site running man turns amber on the camera screen and video clip is beeing recorded and placed into library as it normally would.

Does this happen when using a custom mode for motion detection or is it only when using the default armed mode? 

Any mode, including default "Armed" mode, as long as this particular camera is armed as part of this mode.

Are you sure that nothing is triggering the camera (a normal motion event moving across the cameras field of view)  when you are opening the app? One way to further test would be to take the affected camera and place it in an area where there is no possibility of motion and see if you get the same results. 

Yes I am 100% sure. I tried to move that cam to the different locations, played with motion sensitivity, even deleted and paired that cam again, deleted and re-added different modes. Still the same. 50% of the time when I login to my account (my wife also sees the same behavior using her account (I added her as a Friend)) motion on that cam gets immideately triggered. 

The only particularity about this camera I can think off that could have started this behavior is that I Renamed that cam in the app settings.

I would be happy to assist with the debugging or any logs you need.

Thanks.

Showguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

this is a problem that has been widley report for months without a resolve.  Search the forum for the threads. It was happening to me every time I started the app.  It has improved over time but still does it once in a while.

Memcor77
Guide
Guide
I have been having this problem since the middle of last year and they haven't fixed it yet. See topic Recording activating at login
vint83
Guide
Guide

@JamesC Let me know if there is a way to file a bug on that or help with debugging/log collection.

Its in my best interest to help with reproduction because this issue is really annoying. 

ps. Contacting Netgear Support doesnt really  help much. Always get some template responses. 

Thanks,

Vitali

vint83
Guide
Guide

This bug is really annoying... I hit it many times everyday.

vint83
Guide
Guide

Bug is still there and it's still annoying....

And no one contacted me to try to reproduce this issue and get the logs or something... Lame.

vint83
Guide
Guide

Finally, after chatting with Customer support and real time debugging, they decided to replace one of my cameras. With the new camera I received bug is no longer reproducible. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Thanks for the follow-up.  Too many times (WAY too many times), folks struggle with issues that turns out to be bad hardware.  Contacting support is the only way to resolve these.

vint83
Guide
Guide

@jguerdat True.

But I still feel like it wasn't HW issue at all. More like SW issue related to camera renaming.

see also https://community.netgear.com/t5/Motion-Detection/Every-time-I-log-in-web-app-one-camera-starts-reco...

Oh well... getting new camera is not bad after all. I will just refrain from renaming cameras going forward.