Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Wired doorbell displays pixelated green and magenta

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Paulex
Aspirant
Aspirant

The doorbell displays this low quality pixelated green and magenta/purple video. The camera used to work properly on initial installation, but after several months the video has degraded. I’ve got the proper transformer installed, and it’s connected to the hub along with all my other arlo cameras that have no issue. What do I need to do for this?

IMG_0487.jpeg

IMG_0488.jpeg

Arlo Essential Wired Video Doorbell 

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Start by verifying the voltage at the doorbell - it's possible the transformer is failing. You should also try removing the doorbell from your account and add it back in to see if that helps. If all fails, use Settings, Support (Center) to select the doorbell and talk to official support.

Paulex
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks @jguerdat - I checked the newly installed transformer and the voltage, that wasn't the problem. I also tried your suggestion by removing the device from my account and adding it back. The first time I tried connecting directly to the smart hub and didn't see an improvement. Tried a second time by connecting directly to my router and got the same result. Both attempts produced the same video quality and instances when the camera wouldn't even connect. I also checked my internet speed from the area where the doorbell is installed and I'm getting 300+ mbps down and 100+mbps up, so the router range isn't an issue as well. My Pro camera that sits further away from the router than the doorbell connects without issue.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What's your house construction as well as the direct path between your router/hub and the doorbell (# of walls, things on/in them, etc.)?

Paulex
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jguerdat 
Wood frame home

drywall

4 walls and a staircase in between router/hub and doorbell

And doorbell sits on hardie board siding

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

4 walls and a staircase could easily be part of the issue.  Try moving the hub away from the router which could be another part of the issue but also will present a somewhat different path for the hub<>doorbell connection.

Paulex
Aspirant
Aspirant

ok @jguerdat - I installed a mesh system (tp link deco  x55) with an access point about 2 feet away from the doorbell just inside the front door. I mean literally a hop from each other. I also created a dedicated guest network for the doorbell using a 2.4 GHz band. The doorbell has no issues sending me motion detection notifications, but I can't execute live video play. It just spins showing "connection" then fails. At this point, I've done everything I could possibly have done to provide a stable connection and still nothing. Any additional tips?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A while ago I suggested using Settings, Support to talk to official support. If it's a faulty device, all the beating of your head against that brick wall won't fix it. Select your doorbell from the list and scroll down to Contacts to talk to official support for a possible RMA.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation