Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

What voltage is required for the Video Doorbell?

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
TimPerry
Star
Star

Your Installation notes state: "Voltage between 16V AC and 24V AC, and a 10VA transformer."

Which is it? I see 26, 24 and 10 transformers... which is required? do all of them work? how about this one?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Newhouse-Hardware-16VAC-10VA-Door-Bell-Transformer-16TR/206973663?MERCH=...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TimPerry
Star
Star

well both voltages work.. but the solution was the SSID is CAP sensitive.. and I was entering lower case and the SSID was all CAPS.. solved.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@TimPerry wrote:

Your Installation notes state: "Voltage between 16V AC and 24V AC, and a 10VA transformer."

Which is it? I see 26, 24 and 10 transformers... which is required?

Voltage between 16 and 24 volts means what you think.  Any voltage in that range is within the spec.

The 10 VA rating is power not voltage.  (VA is similar to watts).  That one is a minimum - transformers that can deliver more power should be ok.  Transformers that deliver less are out of spec.

The transformer you linked in does meet the spec (voltage is 16 V, power is 10 VA, but is at the minimum.  If you have a traditional doorbell, there should already be a transformer somewhere in the house.  The voltage and power specs should be printed on it.

TimPerry
Star
Star

OK.. so minimum is 16vac.. I purchased a hampton bay 10, 16, 24 tri-voltage transformer from home depot to solve the riddle.. for $25.. could have purchased a 16v for $15 after I got it working.. but the whole problem isn't solved.. though the camera works, it doesn't connect to my wifi network.. see my next post on wifi network..

TimPerry
Star
Star

Even though 16v appears to work for the camera, the wifi network isn't connecting.. I'm wondering if I should kick it up to 24v? Maybe the wifi component of the doorbell needs more voltage? any thoughts?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@TimPerry wrote:

Even though 16v appears to work for the camera, the wifi network isn't connecting.. I'm wondering if I should kick it up to 24v? Maybe the wifi component of the doorbell needs more voltage? any thoughts?

There can be some voltage drop in the wiring from the transformer to the doorbell.  Going to 24 volts would ensure the doorbell is getting at least 16.  The power (VA) rating will often be higher on a 24V transformer - which is fine, as I said before the VA rating is a minimum.

Not sure if that will solve the wifi problem though.  Do you have any unusual characters in the SSID or the passphrase?

TimPerry
Star
Star
Nope very simple id and pass phrase.. i logged in and out using other devices to ensure compliance.. i'm thinking i'll bump up to 24v to see if it makes a differencep
TimPerry
Star
Star

so I changed the voltage from 16 to 24 and still no wifi connection. everything else works as described. I've even tried multiple resets of the video doorbell and rewired the system all with no success.

TimPerry
Star
Star

well both voltages work.. but the solution was the SSID is CAP sensitive.. and I was entering lower case and the SSID was all CAPS.. solved.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@TimPerry wrote:

the SSID is CAP sensitive..

Yes, that is true for all Wifi.  I'm glad you sorted it.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation