Video doorbell sensitivity vs distance

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
jsaus63304
Luminary
Luminary

My video doorbell is facing a street maybe 40-50 feet away.  It picks up every vehicle passing by, so I get a ton of recordings on my USB drive.  I have the sensitivity down to 17 as I keep turning it down.  Does anyone know the approximate distance vs sensitivity on this product?  I do not want to turn it down so much that I miss people approaching my house.  I just want it to pick up motion at maybe 30 feet from the front door.  Suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Just to be sure, you're setting  the sensitivity in your modes and rules, right? I use a zone that eliminates the street and a sensitivity setting of 35 which works most of the time. An issue, especially during the day, can be the sun's IR being reflected off a car which can still be detected as inside the zone since the signal is so strong that it bounces off nearby objects. You may not be able to eliminate all false triggers but you should be able to minimize them.

jsaus63304
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks.  Yes, I changed the sensitivity in the modes menu.  At 17, it seems to eliminate most false notifications.  It still pics up large trucks and large SUVs.  I guess it is acceptable now.  I was just wondering if there was a feet to sensitivity conversion, like a sensitivity of 20 would be about 20 feet.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not that has ever been mentioned so I doubt there is such a conversion, especially since each situation is different.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation