Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Hokies
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

In doing my initial install, I got the amber lights around the circle indicating I'm not getting enough voltage through my existing doorbell wires.  I did a check on my multimeter and it reads 10V instead of required 16V.   I have looked all over my house for the transformer to change, however don't see it anywhere.  We have a finished basement, so possibly it is hidden behind drywall somewhere.  (I've asked neighbors and they don't know.)  

So...  I don't want to have to spend $$ hiring an electrician.  Do I have any other options than returning the video doorbell?     (Note, I have read about the bypass mode, however my understanding is that is not going to help me since that's not going to do anything helping me get to the 16V needed.)     Anybody else solved this without hiring electrician and/or tearing up their walls looking for the transformer...? 

Thanks,

James

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Hokies wrote:

I have looked all over my house for the transformer to change, however don't see it anywhere.  We have a finished basement, so possibly it is hidden behind drywall somewhere. 

It's often in an electrical box behind the mechanical chime.

Hokies
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks.  I was able to check there, as well as I was able to look up and down the wall behind the drywall where the chime is and only saw the wire running up to the ceiling and down to the floor.  I also took my electrical panels off in my garage and it wasn't here.  My basement is finished, so I fear that it is in my ceiling and to find I'll need to poke random holes in the ceiling in order to look around with a camera.  I'd really like to avoid that.  Any other options with wiring it? 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Hokies wrote:

Any other options with wiring it? 

Not that I can think of.  You shouldn't attempt to add a second transformer to the circuit,

Maybe if you could figure out what circuit breaker in the panels powers the transformer, it would help locate it.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Another possibility that could work is to use a transformer that plugs into an outlet to power the doorbell. I'm using this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VT6ZH5R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Running/hiding the wire is the hard part.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

Another possibility that could work is to use a transformer that plugs into an outlet to power the doorbell. I'm using this one:

Yes, but if he does that he'll either need to give up on his existing chimes or run a new wire to them.  If he does the latter, he might as well install the transformer in the usual way (but in a known location).

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation