Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Elboydo
Guide
Guide
I have activity zones setup on my new video doorbell in an attempt to stop cars going by sending notifications. However the app keeps flagging motion in the non-active area. Is there an update or a work around for this issue?
163 REPLIES 163
unlimitedsounds
Luminary
Luminary
Zone being twice the size isn’t correct. Support Told me I should only get notifications in the boxes I draw. Plus I tried setting to 20 and then mostly nothing was picked up. You had to be at the door. I’m at 70 now to get my entire walkway to my front porch and door. But it gets more then that since zones aren’t working.
Frustrated55
Tutor
Tutor
You are right, the expectation is that zones will capture only what is in the specified box.
My settings work perfectly for me. Will keep it that way till there is a fix for zones to be more accurate.
Best of luck.
unlimitedsounds
Luminary
Luminary
For those who have set the sensitivity to 20. What are you picking up? How far away does I detect etc etc. I’m at 70 to get my walkway up to front door porch.
Frustrated55
Tutor
Tutor
It senses people about 25 ft away at sensitivity 20. Bear in mind this is impacted by the zone area too which for me is about 10 ft .
unlimitedsounds
Luminary
Luminary
My zones do nothing. Doesn’t matter what I set them set. I get motion detection in the entire view.
Jsmitty66
Apprentice
Apprentice
Example of good customer service...

Chatted with Garmin on a minor sensor inaccuracy 3 times over last 4 days and they are sending me a new unit. They were available within minutes and provided knowledge and solutions.

Need to learn - Arlo.
catsmeowgh
Guide
Guide

I have all motion alerts turned on. I have the sensitivity set to 30 and it is not picking up cars in the street which is what I wanted.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A recent update was deployed to the Arlo cloud that should address the accuracy of Activity Zones. This should improve accuracy by more reliably sending notifications only when motion occurs within defined zones. More work is being done to improve the behavior of Arlo Smart notifications and to fix the Activity Zones error that some users are seeing when not using an AC adapter (battery only). Stay tuned for future updates.

JamesC

aa1113
Apprentice
Apprentice

My activity zones seems to be working fine. I am getting way less notifications.   I do still get vehicles, when I don't have that checked. and some people are label vehicle. 

Spatman
Guide
Guide
My activity zone still isn’t working and worse
In some ways. I’ll get a flurry of notifications for every minor motion anywhere outside the zone, then nothing for awhile.

I left a box of free items out in front of my house in a spot that was outside the activity zone. I got a ton of notifications triggered by people walking past it or cars driving by behind it, but no motion detection when some one came and took the entire box.

This product is a joke. I’m cancelling my subscription and looking into a replacement.
unlimitedsounds
Luminary
Luminary

Ive noticed this week that sometimes it picks up motion outside of my zones and other times it doesnt pickup anything at all (in our out of zones)... This is new...

Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary

Along with activity zones not working i have also noticed that it appears that the Activity zones don't appear to be even available as an option in the setup screen anymore. It just appears it isn't there. Can someone confirm for me where it is suppose to be setup. 

unlimitedsounds
Luminary
Luminary
I have the activity zone settings in my iOS app (although they don’t really work). Go to the camera in the arlo App. Then device settings and then activity zones
Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary
That is where i thought it would be and were it is for all of the other cameras I have, but my video doorbell doesn't show it. I have attached a image of the arlo app from my phone (A Note 10+) to show it isn't in the menu options. The same though is present when using the app from my pixel slate tab.
Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary

Ok one more update after the last post i tried logging into the web interface from a browser, and guys what shows up there. I can see the activity zones are present from there. So know the question would be. 1. Why do i not see them in the Android app, and then the reason i started into this thread which is why are they not exactly working and i am getting notifications for cars in the streed about 30-40 feed way past what my doorbell should be able to see based on Activity zone settings.

aa1113
Apprentice
Apprentice

Go into video setting.They should be there. I can see mine on a PC but not on my iPhone app. Go figure. 

Bradys88
Tutor
Tutor

Any updates on this, Arlo? I’ve spent a lot of money on your camera systems and it is continues to be an issue - even with Arlo Smart.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For those still experiencing issues with Activity Zones, please take a look at the following KB articles for best performance and troubleshooting tips:

How do I troubleshoot problems with Arlo activity zones?

What are activity zones and how do I create them?

JamesC

unlimitedsounds
Luminary
Luminary
How does this apply to rule doorbell camera? The article mentions camera models and NOT the video doorbell. I have 3 Activity zones to only cover a specific area and I get things I should not be getting, outside the zones. This, to me, means there is an issue with Activity zones. Also it detects motion when there is none.
aa1113
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have vehicle notification off and I get the notifications all the time. Also people are sometimes classified as vehicles or packages.  

unlimitedsounds
Luminary
Luminary
So are we ever going to see this work properly? I must have received 20 notifications outside the zones I have set for vehicles (which I have turned off). I only have people and animals on.
Jsmitty66
Apprentice
Apprentice
I gave up and removed my Arlo Video Doorbell. Not only is product engineering support lacking, the customer service at Arlo is non-existent. For anyone within the return period, I would suggest returning yours. I will no longer be purchasing Arlo devices and will be slowly replacing the other Arlo cameras and lights that I own.
unlimitedsounds
Luminary
Luminary
My arlo pro 720p cameras are great. Just the doorbell isn’t doing everything it should correctly.
Jsmitty66
Apprentice
Apprentice
My other Pro and Pro 2 cameras have worked fine. The video doorbell has been an utter failure and I refuse to support a company that will not support their products and customers as Arlo has failed to do with this doorbell.
unlimitedsounds
Luminary
Luminary
I have two Open tickets with no response in months.